Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 793

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Potassium Dichromate is a synonym for Potassium Bichromate. Same chemical.

I suppose the thread will head off at some wild tangent soon, as is the APUG way, if it isn't doing so already ... but my point was not to complain about SIlverprint, nor to seek alternative suppliers for the hundred or so grams of Metol I use yearly, but simply to observe that there had been large increases in some prices for some items and the reduced availability for others, and to wonder what it meant for future supply.

It's a shame that Silverprint don't have a presence at APUG. It would be nice to hear their perspective.

Perhaps it would be worth starting a thread in the same vein as the "where to get colour chemicals" sticky, but for black and white chemistry and focused on European suppliers.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post

I suppose the thread will head off at some wild tangent soon, as is the APUG way, if it isn't doing so already ... but my point was not to complain about SIlverprint, nor to seek alternative suppliers for the hundred or so grams of Metol I use yearly, but simply to observe that there had been large increases in some prices for some items and the reduced availability for others, and to wonder what it meant for future supply.

It's a shame that Silverprint don't have a presence at APUG. It would be nice to hear their perspective.

Perhaps it would be worth starting a thread in the same vein as the "where to get colour chemicals" sticky, but for black and white chemistry and focused on European suppliers.
    My local corner chemist had a large stock of chemicals 50 years ago he was an amateur photog as well he would not sell me chemicals he did not use himself.
    When it stops being retail you get to pay even more. Silver print just did a cost benefit analysis (for them) is my perspective they were overstocking... They were buying in yearly so there have been step increases in past eg on Ag products.
    I got the last pack of CD4 and the last pack of CD3 went to Lithuania.
    They have a larger collection of 2nd hand film cameras now larger margins...
    So
    boric acid is available as an insecticide or eyewash!
    borax insecticide or foot wash
    PaRodinal is painkiller and drain killer
    sodium sulphite or bisulphite used in pub lines
    etc.
    Exotics from chemical suppliers
    I had been planning on replacing hydroquinol eg be ascorbic acid before the increase for toxcicidy.
    This dampen home processing of C41 or ECN.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/boric-acid-ophthalmic.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am just placing an order with Silverprint and thought I'd better top up on Metol ... but am a trifle gobsmacked to find that in the 9 months since I last ordered, the price of 100g has risen from £11.28 (inc VAT) to £18.96 (inc VAT) - i.e, about 60% up in the space of 9 months.
    Before you feel too sorry for yourself, in the same time, the Rand/GBP exchange rate has gone from around R14/GBP to over 18 currently. I am only grateful I bought most of my chemicals two years ago. For what it's worth, phenidone is cheaper than metol for similar developers (because of the incredibly small quantities required), so if you insist on home-made, then that is probably the cheapest route. I have about 250g of metol and about 80g phenidone. Enough for a lo-o-ong time. I wish though I could get hold of Dimezone-S - there is no company willing or able to ship that to South Africa. I'd be darned if I knew why, because I have ordered plenty of other dry powder chemicals from overseas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have plenty of phenidone, but I'm not feeling sorry for myself at all. I haven't complained or moaned, merely expressed surprise at the price increases, so I don't understand why you might think I'm feeling sorry for myself ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    ... I wish though I could get hold of Dimezone-S - there is no company willing or able to ship that to South Africa. I'd be darned if I knew why, because I have ordered plenty of other dry powder chemicals from overseas.
    Not too long ago, a forum member (possibly G. Koch) mentioned that he buys from this company. They don't have S. Africa in their export ban list, so it might be a good idea to contact them. Personally, I'm surprised that they are willing to send chemicals overseas, and even more surprised that it's cheaper to buy a pound of Hydroquinone from them, than from any (known to me) EU source. Anyway, I haven't bought anything from them, but it's rather tempting.

EDIT: Oh, and they do sell Dimezone-S.

Shooter
    35mm
    pdeeh. As Silverprint has no presence on APUG why not give them a call on the phone and ask them the reasons for the price increases and then, if you will, tell us what they are.

In your reply to me I think you have largely worked things out to your own satisfaction anyway and concluded that little or no blame rests with the supplier.

Things are what they are and that's a pity but there appears to be no more to be said and nothing that can be done about it.

I do hope that Silverprint and all the other suppliers are in fact your friend and not tempted to exhibit the normal behaviour of a business when in a monopolistic position which is to exploit its position.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I detect a sarcastic edge to your comment, pentaxuser, that does you no credit.

It is no more reasonable or sensible to attribute only evil intent to commercial organisations than to attribute only good intent. To suggest that I "think they are my friends" is a particularly egregious example of setting up a premiss for a straw-man argument.

One of the things I learned in business is that you soon go out of it if you can't make a profit. The other - and this is particularly true of small outfits like Silverprint, and unfortunately much less true of the gigantic outfits like banks - is that treating customers only as dupes to have their money extracted from as fast as possible is also a sure route to failure.

I'm neither defending nor attacking Silverprint, merely observing something. I have no axe to grind except that of being irritable with being attributed attitudes and beliefs that I don't possess.

So, with that said, and sad that yet another APUG thread has turned "personal", I'll add this thread and yet another individual to my "ignore list" .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    If you desperately need some check out the auction site. I can see this source being shut down soon as it is significantly against the rules to ship in normal post..
    Sending Dichromates (along with many other chemicals) by Royal Mail leaves the sender open to prosecution which could result in a substantial fine and/or prison sentence. In addition, as a significant amount of post is distributed around the country by air, RM themselves could be fined heavily - It goes without saying, that if prohibited items are discovered in the post, they are subject to seizure and pending the outcome of an investigation, destruction. As anything put on an aircraft is routinely x-rayed for "security" reasons, the chances of discovery is much greater than it used to be.

Side note: Heard from an insider that a package containing cannabis was "discovered" in a local sorting office (it was the smell that gave it away) - The police were called and the intended recipient got an early morning wake up call. The sender had thoughtfully put a return address on the package.... Another early morning visit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stand corrected.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I understand thing re silverprint it has not actually changed hands, Martin Reed has stepped down from running things day to day and has stayed on as a consultant, with a new MD appointed running things day to day, I was speaking about some raw chemicals the other day, they are becoming harder to source, new EU regulations on what can and can't be sold, and as a lot of our raw chemicals originate in other industries such as some in food, and if they are dropped or banned in say food then they become much more expensive to manufacture in the very small quantities that photographers will use, and invetiably prices will increase, I have not used raw chemicals for a few years now, but wanted to try something, but I could get a kit for what I needed at half the price of buying the raw chemicals,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin