Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,085   Online: 765

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

The rising price of chemicals (UK) ...

I am just placing an order with Silverprint and thought I'd better top up on Metol ... but am a trifle gobsmacked to find that in the 9 months since I last ordered, the price of 100g has risen from £11.28 (inc VAT) to £18.96 (inc VAT) - i.e, about 60% up in the space of 9 months.

This prompted me to check a few other bits and bobs: Hydroquinone, I paid £9.76 for 250g in May 2013, today it is priced at £9.36/100g (or £23.40/250g); Phenidone 25g, £7.85 (last May, £4.88); Sodium Carbonate £10.10/1.5Kg (£5.40 last August).

I'm not suggesting Silverprint are "trying it on" - I just think it goes to show how how niche (and therefore expensive to acquire) photochemicals are becoming over here.

Couple that with the fact that you can no longer buy metaborate from them, and more recently that they seem to have dropped CD-3 and CD-4 and I begin to wonder for how much longer we'll be able to buy raw chemicals like this in the UK. Silverprint are one of the few places raw developing agents can be bought in the UK (yes, I know we can buy from Moersch, but shipping is ridiculous and they've never answered any of my enquiry emails to them anyway)

just a blurt and steam-letting-off really.
    Last edited by pdeeh; 02-13-2014 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct calculation error

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you ever spend a holiday in Paris drop by Artista (rue Mouffetard) They have everything you might need... with reasonable prices.

Plus they're located in a lovely part of the city. So the Missus won't mind going with you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What makes you think I have a "missus" ?

Mind you, there is an element of swings-and-roundabouts involved, as thanks to a recent thread here I realised I can buy Champion Amfix fixer incredibly cheaply from Silverprint, and the saving over Ilford rapid is so great it'll pay (over time) for the price increase on the raw chems

Shooter
    Large Format
    As goes the US economy, so goes the rest of the world. So it would seem. None of this surprises me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I am just placing an order with Silverprint and thought I'd better top up on Metol ... but am a trifle gobsmacked to find that in the 9 months since I last ordered, the price of 100g has risen from £11.28 (inc VAT) to £18.96 (inc VAT) - i.e, about 30% up in a year (a little over 9 months to be exact).

This prompted me to check a few other bits and bobs: Hydroquinone, I paid £9.76 for 250g in May 2013, today it is priced at £9.36/100g (or £23.40/250g); Phenidone 25g, £7.85 (last May, £4.88); Sodium Carbonate £10.10/1.5Kg (£5.40 last August).

I'm not suggesting Silverprint are "trying it on" - I just think it goes to show how how niche (and therefore expensive to acquire) photochemicals are becoming over here.

Couple that with the fact that you can no longer buy metaborate from them, and more recently that they seem to have dropped CD-3 and CD-4 and I begin to wonder for how much longer we'll be able to buy raw chemicals like this in the UK. Silverprint are one of the few places raw developing agents can be bought in the UK (yes, I know we can buy from Moersch, but shipping is ridiculous and they've never answered any of my enquiry emails to them anyway)

just a blurt and steam-letting-off really.
    Yes I noticed that and the rise is nearer 68% than 30.

I bought a bottle of glycine from Boots cheap.

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Glycine isn't a developing agent, glycin is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Yes I noticed that and the rise is nearer 68% than 30.
    quite correct, I had calculated the 30% on the price of something else but didn't correct the error. Which I will do shortly. Although I make it about 60%.

I think Clinch Witness sounds like a straight-to-DVD action-hero, by the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could give process supplies a call. However I don't think they sell Metol (surprisingly).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, they have reduced their range of "raw"chemicals really substantially in the past year, and they charge a small fortune for shipping chemicals as well. At one time they had an excellent range, so it's rather a shame.

Bizarrely, you can still get Potassium bichromate from them (500g at a time) without difficulty, whereas Silverprint won't sell it to an individual but only to an institution.

Shooter
    35mm
    pdeeh. Is this massive rise confined to Silverprint or are other raw chemical suppliers increasing prices likewise? I think that Peter Hogan sells some chemicals but maybe not as big a range. Worth checking him out

I wonder, is it the price of the raw chemicals or the seller recognising that he may be one of the few selling such chemicals. As I understand things, Silverprint's ownership recently changed hands. It is no longer Martin Reed which I suspect hasn't worked in our favour.

A new owner, a desire to improve profits, a recognition that he has a near monopoly position or at least knows that buying from rivals is too much of a "faff" all tends to add up to the classic response of charging what he thinks the market will bear.

The longer I watch the photographic market place the more I subscribe to so-called money expert, Martin Lewis' position on the seller/buyer relationship which is that these people are not your friends, anymore than the Utilities or banks such as Npower, EDF, Barclays Lloyds etc are your friend.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin