Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,414   Online: 1141

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    Fuji Velvia. I am so fed up with photography magazines displaying readers' and pros' landscape photographs' sickening over-saturated colors, I could vomit!
    That isn't necessarily the fault of the film; more than likely the photographer got carried away with an enhancing filter or the magazine got carried away with the photoshop. Velvia has a great ability to capture subtle graduations of tone, if handled right.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Favorites: APX100 hands down. The EFKES are also really good.
    I like FP4 and HP5, Delta3200 and the Neopans.
    In Color: Fuji family. Velvia is great, kinda slow though, Provia is much better. All the Superia family is very good

Dislikes: APX400
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Delta 100, Velvia, Provia 100F, Astia

5x7
    JC classic 100 and PL100

Dislikes
    35mm 120
    Kodak, all of them. Color and BW They are just plain ugly. I detest all manner of grain in my photos

4x5
    Kodak Tri-X,

5x7
    None that I know of yet

Sure are a lot of varied answers here.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    Most detested: Fuji Velvia. I am so fed up with photography magazines displaying readers' and pros' landscape photographs' sickening over-saturated colors, I could vomit! One would suspect they all have a history of swallowing LSD or Mescaline and have a chronic need to duplicate the effects in their photographs! Stop before I gag, dudes!
    I agree. The greens make me especially bilious. All greens shot on Velvia remind me of those foil leprechaun hats you see in bars on St. Patrick's Day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mostly shoot with Neopan 400 and FP4+, although of late I've been doing a lot of Delta 400. What I like about Neopan 400 and FP4 is that they have a nice toe and good grain distribution. Delta 400 has a toe I can live with and the grain is useful in 35mm. As for dislikes, I've been working through a box of TMX in large format, and the fact that that film has a very short toe really irritates me. I can get good results from it, I know that other people can get marvelous results with it, but it and I don't really see eye to eye. For some reason I get along better with Acros, even though they're similar films.

For color transparencies, the only one I've found I really like is Astia; Provia's pallette is good but too high contrast, Velvia is way too high contrast, and I don't know Kodak's line very well. In color negative, I usually use Reala and NPH.

As for cheap, well... Neopan 400 is pretty cheap if you can get it. Delta 400 isn't. APX 100 is quite cheap, and I like the results I get from it. Don't know any really inexpensive good color films; the cost of processing is usually enough more for me that I don't much care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best: Efke PL25 and Cachet Macophot 820c
    Worst: You mean there is bad film? Must be WAY past due or ruined!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Favorite film is Tri-X by far. I've shot most of it in 35mm. I shot Delta 100 and 400 extensively, FP4+, PlusX, Neopan, APX 400. Been shooting for 20 years and tried most everything. Nothing beats TRI-X in XTOL 1:1

I don't have a least favorite. I like all of them a little but TRI-X a lot. Did I already say that?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    ... I detest all manner of grain in my photos
    Beast!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Favorite films: all except Plus-X. I've never been able to get anything decent from this film. I would rather that Kodak killed Plus-X and kept both Panatomic-x and Verichrome Pan.

Images
    Good Evening,

I agree with KenR. I used a lot of Plus-X simply because it was easily available and a lot less grainy than the old Tri-X, but I was never really satisfied with it. Pan-X and Verichrome were fine.

Konical

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin