Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,842   Online: 975

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 25asa
    You mean there is bad film?
    Yeah, there's lots of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    Good Evening,

I agree with KenR. I used a lot of Plus-X simply because it was easily available and a lot less grainy than the old Tri-X, but I was never really satisfied with it. Pan-X and Verichrome were fine.

Konical
    I loved Pan-X and Verichrome Pan too! I'll never forgive those Bozos at Kodak for discontinuing them. I emailed them to complain when they discontinued VP and they had the nerve to suggest that I try Plus-X as a replacement. I told the guy to go to Hell.

Mike

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    Beast!

Probably why I don't like rodinal as a developer too. I will go hide from Morten and his minions now, before I am proclaimed a heretic and burned
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    I would like to announce that my Favourite film is
    Fujichrome Neopan Acros 100

Shooter
    35mm
    My favorite film is Kodak Tri-X (400TX), period. To me it's the most flexible film I've ever used and one of the most beautiful. I like that I can put a roll in a camera whether it's full-on noon sunlight or a candlelit room at night and know I can shoot it at almost any speed and pick a developer and processing system later that will give me usable negatives. I've shot it when I could have used color film. I've shot it when I could have used a slower film. I've used it when I could have grabbed a film intended for low light like Delta 3200. I've never been disappointed or regretted using Tri-X though. HP5+ is Ilford's high-speed B&W film equivalent but I enjoy Tri-X's tonality and grain structure more even though HP5+ is a bit cheaper.

But if I want B&W film with lower grain and superb tonality when there's more light, I'd grab Ilford FP4+ 125 which is also just as cheap as HP5+ 400.

For slide work, I'm always thrilled by Fuji Velvia 50 even though its death sentence is scheduled for later this year when Velvia 100 replaces it (and I'm sure I'll be happy with that film).

For color negative work, it's a bit tough. I can't process it at home which means I can't pull or push process it for free when needed so I have to choose based on light levels. It almost always comes down to either Fuji NPH 400 or Fuji NPZ 800. Both are forgiving, have wide exposure latitude, have fine grain for their speeds and scan into a film scanner well.

I don't really like Kodak Plus-X 125 and it's for no apparent reason. It's a good film! I just like Ilford FP4+ 125 more so I have no more use for Plus-X. I don't like many of the consumer grade color negative films you buy at convenience stores.. the negatives just have a 'cheap' look to them, in my opinion. I don't like the chromogenic B&W films like Ilford XP2 so far... something about their look bothers me and I can't put my finger on it. Surprisingly, I've shot a handful of Fuji Provia 100F and am a bit bothered by it. Grain is tiny and colors can be nice but that occasional blue color cast makes me nervous to shoot it often when there may be an important photo on the roll.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like - Fuji Acros 100 - great film !!!, Ilford PanF+, Efke films (love them!!!)
    Color...I don't shoot a whole lot of color film, but when I do I use Fuji Superia Reala 100, Agfa Optima 100.
    Not a big fan of: Kodak Portra - never had good luck with it - it either goes purple or does something even more weird, TMax is so-so...Forte film is also just OK.
    As far as price goes - you get what you pay for.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin