Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,658   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just finished using the white vinegar on Emaks graded fiber, and whites look good. I used 270ml of white vinegar to 800ml of water, but this doesn't jibe with some of the other comments above. Oh well ;-(
    I probably still prefer citric acid because of the smell.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a white vinegar for stop bath all the time and works perfect (my proportion is 1-5), and what is important environmentaly friendly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmk82 View Post
    I forgot to mention on the question, I'm asking to use the white vinegar for Ilford FB papers not negative, could I..?
    Yes.

Acetic acid sourced from white vinegar or from a commercial stop bath is the same either way as far as the film or paper is concerned. The only thing missing is indicator dye if you'd otherwise use an indicator stop.

As for environmental friendliness, that's the same either way too, except possibly for the indicator dye.
    When you dump it, it's not a bad idea to neutralize it either by mixing with spent developer or some baking soda.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Citric acid is cheap and less smelly than vinegar. I swapped after I found the vinegar fumes gave me a headache during long printing sessions.

Two teaspoons in a litre of water makes a great stop. I found my citric acid on eBay but I believe brewing suppliers are also a cheap source.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    We put neat vinegar on our national dish - fish and chips.
    1+5 needs to be replaced regular if you get a stain you need faster replacement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    We put neat vinegar on our national dish - fish and chips.
    1+5 needs to be replaced regular if you get a stain you need faster replacement
    I thought your national dish was Indian food?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pure white vinegar works fine as stop bath.

Don't use flavoured or malt or wine vinegars.

Last time I checked, white vinegar was expensive compared to the Kodak Indicator Stop bath I use for film. I haven't calculated the costs for Ilford Ilfostop, which I use for prints, and which I wish was available in larger bottles.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I thought your national dish was Indian food?
    Yes to tell the truth I prefer Hindu food in a pukka Hindu run establishment, in pref to Pack or Bangladesh.

Even our bigots eat Indian.

But most Chinese rest will do fish and chips.

To be absolutely correct our national dish was fish and chips and we soaked it in brown (malt) vinegar with salt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Yes to tell the truth I prefer Hindu food in a pukka Hindu run establishment, in pref to Pack or Bangladesh.

Even our bigots eat Indian.

But most Chinese rest will do fish and chips.

To be absolutely correct our national dish was fish and chips and we soaked it in brown (malt) vinegar with salt.
    wouldn't mind a serving of that right now,accompanied by some or lots of crisp apple cider..the only place you can get good cider on this side of the pond is Tilted Kilt.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure how quickly you burn through stop bath, but buying in bulk might be a cheaper option. They sell gallon jugs of glacial acetic acid, which is basically just a higher concentration than white vinegar. Dilute down to a working solution and you're good to go. The stuff should last you a very very long time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin