Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,817   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Really old Dektol

A friend gave me 2 cans(yes,cans) of Kodak Dektol powder dated 1972. I just mixed one up and it seems to work fine! It's a little darker than I remember so I'll do some more testing and let everyone know how it works.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Use it up; no reason it shouldn't be good. The cans generally keep amazingly well, even much older ones than you have, usually showing just a little color as you noticed. The foil packages from a little later are much more hit or miss. I've got a bunch of Selectol in those and would be very surprised if 50 percent are good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a risk but chances are it's fine. At least, with photographic paper, you're not taking a major chance like you would developing film in really old film developer.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use it at your own risk.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wouldn't have opened it. I have a 1 gal of Microdol X in a can from about 1970. Keep them as decorative knick-knacks. Besides, some day if there's a zombie apocalypse, you'll have some supplies stashed back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 1/2 a case of these cans, a mixture of D-76, Dektol and Selectol Soft. I keep em in the garage, for the same reason as Tom1956(zombie apocalypse ). I've used a few cans of the D-76, despite them being rusty and more of a "knick knack status". Worked perfectly fine.

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format

Reminds me of a question I have.

I've got this half-used bottle of Photo-Flo, maybe 10 years old or so that I still use. Just takes a drop in the film tank of water after washing, to do the trick. Anyway, When I take the top off the bottle, it has an ammonia-ish sort of smell that will burn your eyes. When it was new, it didn't smell like anything. But now, it's as dangerous to take a whiff of as sticking your nose up to a bottle of glacial acetic acid and pulling in a big sniff. (well, maybe not THAT bad). BTW--for any dummies reading, never put your nose up to a bottle of glacial acetic acid. You'd probably be better off in the gas chamber when the cyanide pellets fall in the bucket. GAA will kill you if you snort it. Mean stuff.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 02-23-2014 at 10:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    GAA will kill you if you snort it. Mean stuff.
    No, it just makes you wish you were dead. You can decide which is worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    A friend gave me 2 cans(yes,cans) of Kodak Dektol powder dated 1972. I just mixed one up and it seems to work fine! It's a little darker than I remember so I'll do some more testing and let everyone know how it works.
    it most likely will work just fine unless the powder has turned dark brown over time.the keeping properties of canned Dektoland D76 are amazing .Kodak should not have changed that
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    years ago i used old cans of developer and it was terrible for me ..
    not because the developer went bad but because the developer
    was no longer made, and the formula lost ... it was one of the, if not the best developer
    i had used ... so who knows if you like THIS dektol
    it may end up being your white whale
    and you'll be searching for this particular formula
    age, bouquet and oxidation/ rust level for a long time ...

have fun
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin