Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,517   Online: 1066

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selenium toned first and a small bleach after?

Hi
    Last weekend, I toned 5 prints of a portrait of my son. Very low key over all except his face and arms. I want to experiment shift color and a higher D-Max. So, I used Ilford MGIV FB develloped in PQ 1+9 and fixed in TF-4. The first print was just toned in KRS 1+19 for 5 minutes. The second one was toned in KRS 1+3 for 7 minutes. No color change, just blacker. For the 3 others, they were toned in KRS 1+3, 5 to 9 minutes and bleach to a snatch point where I began to see his face lighter. In the dark tones, it's not obvious for a color change after completion. The result is a more contrasty print.

I know that my paper is not the best for this purpose or maybe my print should be darker like I read in Tim Rudman's Book of Toning. In the past, I used this routine for a landscape with succes with a reddish tint. I know that the bleach begin with the light tones first and the selenium with the dark tones first.
    My goal was to have red-brown tint in the low values and preserve density in the skin....maybe it's not a good subject for this and works good for an entire low key print.

I need some advises from experienced people with this technique.

Thank you in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    My goal was to have red-brown tint in the low values
    No way with MGIV. Try maybe Fomatone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    No way with MGIV. Try maybe Fomatone.
    Thank you for tips.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When it worked for you in the past and you got some red what paper were you using?
    Some of the papers that had cadmium in them, such as Agfa Record Rapid, picked up a nice red with selnium.
    I don't think any papers have cadmium in them any more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    When it worked for you in the past and you got some red what paper were you using?
    Some of the papers that had cadmium in them, such as Agfa Record Rapid, picked up a nice red with selnium.
    I don't think any papers have cadmium in them any more.
    It was the same paper but printed darker. I think it help. Any way, for now, I explore options. I'll try Ilford Gallery #2.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin