Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,676   Online: 1146

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Grenell
    I am having a different experience than you, Chris. I am soaking my Oriental VC (NOT warmtone), in Selenium 1:9 and leaving it there for over ten minutes.
    You shouldn't really be expecting to see a colour change if it's a bromide paper, all you should see is a very slight increase in D-max.

Paper emulsions differ from the Cold blacks of a pure bromide paper to the warmths which can be extracted from a chloride paper. Other papers containing Chloride as well as Bromide will differ depening on the proportions so a Bromo-chloride paper - ie Bromide with a small amount of Chloride with only show a very slight shift in Selenium. Warm-tone papers are Chloro-bromide papers so will give rise to far more substantial colour shifts in Selenium toner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am having a different experience than you, Chris. I am soaking my Oriental VC (NOT warmtone), in Selenium 1:9 and leaving it there for over ten minutes. It doesn;t even begin to move toward purplish. I look at a comparison print from 6 years ago which was toned in Brilliant VC (again, cold tone paper), and it certainly moves toward purple. I cannot get my current crop of Oriental VC to accept selenium adequately. BTW, I dilute it in Permawash, not water.

Gary
    Here I am replying to myself: I've found the way to tone my Oriental VC is to increase the solution to 1:7 and leave it in for 8 minutes. That finally gives it the slight cooling, barely noticable purple, that I was hoping for. It seems like a strong solution, but that is what it required.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SNIP
    I cannot get my current crop of Oriental VC to accept selenium adequately. BTW, I dilute it in Permawash, not water.

Gary
    end snip
    If Permawash is anything like Hypo Clearing Agent, and I think it is, then you are working in opposite directions. HCA is used as a "Stop Bath" for KRST. You very well may be impeding the Si activity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin