Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,976   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

multigrade papers & toning

Hello,

I have tried a few multigrade papers and have found it hard toning most of them. At this point i know of 1 paper which tones easily and beautifully. FinePrint made by Croatian Fotokemika. However, to my knowledge it is only available as RC-paper, not a pure fiberbase.

I now ask for advice on what fibre-base papers are there available which also are easy toning?

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Toned FB

The current crop of VC papers are hard to tone. The exception is Forte. It will tone very well in selenium. Almost too well so you have to watch it carefully or dilute more. The graded Ilford papers will also tone beautifully. You can push them to a warm or cold tone if you want.
    Regards, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're willing to take a chance on it, the Adorama house brand warm tone paper tones more easily than anything else I've tried. I have not tried their neutral tone so I can't speak to that, but the warm tone has been a real treat for toning.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which toner do you use and what hue shift are you looking for?

I use AGFA Multicontrast Classic and Premium, and while they don't change hue much in KRST 1:10, they respond very well to selenium-polysulfide and polysulfide toners very well. So does Fortezo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by janjohansson
    Hello,

I have tried a few multigrade papers and have found it hard toning most of them. At this point i know of 1 paper which tones easily and beautifully. FinePrint made by Croatian Fotokemika. However, to my knowledge it is only available as RC-paper, not a pure fiberbase.

I now ask for advice on what fibre-base papers are there available which also are easy toning?

Thanks in advance
    All Multigrade type papers will tone well.

However the effect of Selenium toning can only be seen properly with Chloro-Bromide papers, Warm tone papers. Selenium toning bromide papers will increase archival permanence and add a little to the Dmax but the effect will be hard to detect.

If you want to tone Bromide papers then you need to use different toners, there are plenty of Formulæ available.

Fotokemia do produce a Warmtone FB paper it's available via Fotoimpex in Berlin (Germany). Its in their PDF cataloge:
    http://www.fotoimpex.de/catalogus_no...compressus.pdf

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As Ian Grant said, Fotokemika also makes a VC FB paper, which in my experience behaves just like the RC paper.

I have also found Bergger VC CB to tone well - maybe even "well to enthusiastically". Same for MACO Expo RF.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I may be looking for different effects than you are, but I find Ilford MGIV and Oriental Seagull both tone very readily in selenium. I'm generally not looking for a color shift, mainly just elimination of an hint of yellow or yellow-green in the highlights (more an issue with MGIV than Seagull) or a deepening of blacks (more significant in Seagull than MGIV). I use Kodak Rapid Selenium - typically 1+9 at 68-70 deg F. With a fresh batch, prints take on a decidely eggplant tone in the shadows after 4-5 minutes.

Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you favor neutral tone (vs. warm tone), Forte tones great.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    35mm
    I want to thank you all for the information i have obtained.
    Now i have a few ideas of what to try next concerning papers.
    I also value the lesson that papers not responding much to for instance KRST may well be toned by selenium toner of diffrent formulation.

Thanks alot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Toning Oriental VC in Selenium

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg
    I may be looking for different effects than you are, but I find Ilford MGIV and Oriental Seagull both tone very readily in selenium. I'm generally not looking for a color shift, mainly just elimination of an hint of yellow or yellow-green in the highlights (more an issue with MGIV than Seagull) or a deepening of blacks (more significant in Seagull than MGIV). I use Kodak Rapid Selenium - typically 1+9 at 68-70 deg F. With a fresh batch, prints take on a decidely eggplant tone in the shadows after 4-5 minutes.

Chris
    I am having a different experience than you, Chris. I am soaking my Oriental VC (NOT warmtone), in Selenium 1:9 and leaving it there for over ten minutes. It doesn;t even begin to move toward purplish. I look at a comparison print from 6 years ago which was toned in Brilliant VC (again, cold tone paper), and it certainly moves toward purple. I cannot get my current crop of Oriental VC to accept selenium adequately. BTW, I dilute it in Permawash, not water.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin