Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,182   Online: 838

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Doremus.

I've got the book of pyro somewhere down in the darkroom - I'll have to look through it. It does come as a surprise, because I know Sandy King used a 1% sodium sulphite solution as part of his washing protocol, and wrote specifically that neither that nor prolonged washing influenced the stain. I suppose I should see for myself though - I've got a lot of film to process right now so it's as good a time as any.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A presoak, fesh fixer, longer fixing time and a longer wash should give you clear negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    A presoak, fesh fixer, longer fixing time and a longer wash should give you clear negatives.
    +1
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    +1
    +2

You can also run replenished fixer regime, which basically keep the fixer at the same activity forever.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    What do you guys consider a longer wash to be? I've gone by the instructions, and thus wash my kodak films for 30min and ilfords for 10mins. I rinse both in distilled water for an additional 5min to avoid stains. My tri-x films are still rather purple, but I recon they're within normal limits.

Shooter
    35mm
    Washing out the purple stain depends on pH, where a high pH (alkaline/neutral) is better than a low (acidic). Your fixer (a neutral type) obviously became more acidic over time, probably by carryover from the stop.

G.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by effae View Post
    What do you guys consider a longer wash to be? I've gone by the instructions, and thus wash my kodak films for 30min and ilfords for 10mins. I rinse both in distilled water for an additional 5min to avoid stains. My tri-x films are still rather purple, but I recon they're within normal limits.
    It depends on the film. TMAX and Tri-X can be very purple.

With those films I presoak for 5 minutes, fix for 8-10 minutes (depending on freshness) wash for 10 minutes and soak for 15-20 minutes.

That gives me completely clear negatives.

There is still a hint of purple before the final soak, but it's gone after 15-20 minutes.

Probably these times could vary depending on water and chems as suggested by previous poster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    It depends on the film. TMAX and Tri-X can be very purple.

With those films I presoak for 5 minutes, fix for 8-10 minutes (depending on freshness) wash for 10 minutes and soak for 15-20 minutes.

That gives me completely clear negatives.

There is still a hint of purple before the final soak, but it's gone after 15-20 minutes.

Probably these times could vary depending on water and chems as suggested by previous poster.
    For me, I don't pre-soak, used TMax 400 and Tri-X 400 in either Xtol or D76, and with a 6 minute cycle in fresh fixer get completely clear negatives after a 20 minute wash.
    With partially spent fixer I get slightly pink/purple Tri-X but the TMax stays clear. Presoak makes no difference for me. Fresh fixer does.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That sounds familiar. I reuse 1 litre of diluted TMAX fix for five times and after the third time the negs come out a little purple but that goes away in the final soak.

But the presoak water comes out purple bordering on black, so I guess it must have some effect, either on the film or the chems?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is it really that important to get all the purple out? I just thought some films were a little purple, like tri-x, others like Acros 100 are crystal clear. I used to drive myself crazy trying to get the purple out but then I figured it didn't make any difference when printing so I stopped worrying about the purple. I just follow Ilfords recommendations for fixing and washing so all of this seems like overkill to me, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Also, the water bill can add up fast!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin