Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,574   Online: 929

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hypo-clear

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    While it's true that some areas of earth experience temporary water shortages due to poorly planned infrastructure (resulting in overly concentrated human populations), and poor use of existing water resources, other places have too much water and often suffer flooding. Science is an amazing thing.
    confirm temporary if you mean a century or longer
    suggest google 'global warming'...

everyone knows about reactor accidents and thermo nuclear atmospheric tests but unless it rains in SCalf soon the toilets won't flush and they will only have bottled water to wash with...

water is too expensive to move, building on flood plains is/was silly, sea levels can change

the 20th Century was exceptionally wet in some areas

be happy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    .......... While it's true that some areas of earth experience temporary water shortages due to poorly planned infrastructure (resulting in overly concentrated human populations), and poor use of existing water resources, other places have too much water and often suffer flooding. Science is an amazing thing. There are more possible brain cell synapse connections in one human brain than there are atoms in the entire known universe. Use them.
    There are too many people on this planet. Eventually Nature will limit the population, and it's not going to be pleasant, but in the meantime using more water than is necessary is wasteful in very many parts of the world (not yours I assume).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    There are too many people on this planet. Eventually Nature will limit the population, and it's not going to be pleasant, but in the meantime using more water than is necessary is wasteful in very many parts of the world (not yours I assume).
    Water is not wasted. It is always in cycle. Unless you are using electrolysis to break apart water molecules. Then water is in fact, actually lost.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Back on-topic:

Hypo-Clearing Agent or the like is not needed for film, but will reduce wash times somewhat and often helps to remove the pink/purple cast that stubbornly stay in some film. Don't use it if you use a staining developer, since it will remove the stain.

You don't have to leave the water running for your entire film wash time. Several changes of water with agitation during the wash cycle is equally as effective. (There's a sticky thread on film washing here on APUG somewhere that would be informative!)

Although Kodak says you can use Hypo Clear and then wash for only five minutes, washing a bit longer will not do any damage.

Your final soak in distilled water to get rid of the tap water minerals can simply be extended to a few minutes and give you an extra bit of wash.

The Kodak document linked to above gives you all you need for good processing technique.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hypo is for paper, not film.
    Hypo is fixer. Hypo is for both film and paper.

Hypo Clear is not fixer. Hypo Clear can be used after hypo, to reduce the remaining hypo and thus reduce wash times.

Referring to Hypo Clear by calling is hypo, is just plain wrong and misleading to others.

Please use terminology correctly.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    See page 2 of this chart. I know it's not a requirement to use, but it cuts down on wash times correct? How does rapid fixer vs regular affect wash times?
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/aj3/aj3.pdf
    no in theory rapid fixers reduce wash times,because, a rapid fix gives the fixer less time to soak deep into the fibers. the strategy is : strong rapid fixing is better than long weaker fixing.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    confirm temporary if you mean a century or longer
    suggest google 'global warming'...

everyone knows about reactor accidents and thermo nuclear atmospheric tests but unless it rains in SCalf soon the toilets won't flush and they will only have bottled water to wash with...

water is too expensive to move, building on flood plains is/was silly, sea levels can change

the 20th Century was exceptionally wet in some areas

be happy
    why is global warming always where i'm not?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    Quick question regarding hypo-clear. I'm doing some at home film development, and want to try using hypo-clear to reduce wash times.

After developing, stopping, and fixing - I then wash, followed by 1 minute of hypo-clear? How long is it recommended that I wash after using hypo-clear.

Typically I develop, stop, fix, rinse with city water, and then rinse twice with distilled water in developing tank. If I don't rinse with distilled water after the initial rinse, Chicago water leaves some nasty residue on the film.

Thanks,

Mark
    hi mark

i don't use hypo clear but perma wash ( similar but a little different )
    i fix 2x in separate fix baths for recommended times
    rinse film ( and paper ) for recommended time
    then into the perma wash for recommended time
    then wash out perma wash for recommended time ( sometimes 2x that time if i am paranoid )

i think for film it is something like 2 mins rinse, 2min perma, then 2min wash,
    double weight paper 5 mins wash &c
    single weight paper, half that ..
    since i can't remember, i consult the package ( not all brands are the same ) .

the hypo clear is a substance ( sodium sulfate ? ) that grabs free floating fixer/hypo molecules off of your film / paper / water
    and helps you clear your film /paper/ stuff of these molecules that are just hanging out, not doing anything.
    ( it is based on the us navy's using sea water to reduce wash times in ww2, similar stuff )
    just do what the package of your hypo clear says to do and you won't have troubles and it will reduce your wash times.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...ly-way-do.html
    also has info on the soak-method ..

have fun
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-03-2014 at 09:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Water is not wasted. It is always in cycle. Unless you are using electrolysis to break apart water molecules. Then water is in fact, actually lost.
    Yes but unless it rains in Aus or SCalfornia their reservoirs will empty cause they were sized too small.

If they were sized for the 20th century they are or will be too small if the 21st is more typical of normal centuries.

This is not a new thought 40 years ago one of out eko freaks was on UK national TV dropping plastic bricks into US toilet cisterns cause they were too large.

Looks like he was correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Yes but unless it rains in Aus or SCalfornia their reservoirs will empty cause they were sized too small.
    The reason that they are the size they are is because they were built as large as the geography would permit for each one. There is no need to go into psycho-political rants in this thread.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin