Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,708   Online: 705

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HC-110 Developing Times

So I have a bottle of HC-110 now from this weekend. I developed a roll of Acros with it (dil. B) and that went just fine. In the queue now is a roll of Tri-X and I find the listed times for development all over the place. Kodak's guidlines are under 5 mins! How can that be when they recommend longer times than 5 mins for ALL films? Even Ilford's HP5 time is right on 5 mins.

Should I be using something other than dilution B? It always seems to me that dil. B is the one used with HC-110 so I am not sure how to develop my roll of Tri-X tonight.

Even the massive development chart is of no help, with Tri-X's times being listed as a range!

As always, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The following site has lots of information about HC-110 http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The following site has lots of information about HC-110 http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    I saw that site during my pre-post searches. For Tri-X it is not very definitive. "Most photographers recommend about 6 to 7 minutes. "

I was hoping for a more firm answer than that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j24/j24.pdf

Shows 7 1/2 minutes for TriX at 68F/20C ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At ASA 100, according to the Massive Dev Chart try 5 1/2 minutes dilution B. It's too flat for me. I print with a diffusion head though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    7:30 was my time for normal lighting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rattymouse, can I ask what you think you should do to develop Tri-X if you feel that a question mark hangs over using HC110

Fred Picker was a big fan of HC110 and Tri-X but of course he says to do a test to establish your own film speed and processing time. As he makes no mention of the likelihood of problems of times below 5 mins maybe he felt that such times were unlikely after testing but I don't know.

It would seem from other posts that times are mostly above 5 mins.

If I were you I'd believe I had 3 options:

Do a test for film speed and processing times with HC110 and Tri-X

Pick one of the times you and others have mentioned or pick an average

Use another developer where the times for Tri-X are more consistent and longer than 5 mins

Best of luck and tell us what you choose to do and your findings after your choice

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j24/j24.pdf

Shows 7 1/2 minutes for TriX at 68F/20C ...
    I think that is for the old Tri-X.

This is the data-sheet for the current film - Kodak Professional Tri-X 400 - which lists 3 3/4 minutes at 20C: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4017/f4017.pdf

With the Kodak data sheets it is best to go to the film data sheet for times, because they seem to be updated more frequently then the developer data sheets.

You can use the shorter than 5 minute times, but they are much more exacting with respect to your technique.

You might consider instead the unofficial 1 + 49 dilution, which is very similar to dilution E. Jason Brunner has an excellent APUG article on that dilution (and I use it in a replenishment regime with the instructions for replenishing dilution E): http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...de-simple.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 7:00 in dilution B for TX at box speed. The covingtoninnovations.com page makes the speculation that Kodak simply printed the time for the wrong dilution; the numbers do seem about right for that, but heaven only knows why they haven't corrected it if it's that simple.

As always, if in doubt, do some tests.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm

The beauty of HC 110 are the dilution options

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    So I have a bottle of HC-110 now from this weekend. I developed a roll of Acros with it (dil. B) and that went just fine. In the queue now is a roll of Tri-X and I find the listed times for development all over the place. Kodak's guidlines are under 5 mins! How can that be when they recommend longer times than 5 mins for ALL films? Even Ilford's HP5 time is right on 5 mins.

Should I be using something other than dilution B? It always seems to me that dil. B is the one used with HC-110 so I am not sure how to develop my roll of Tri-X tonight.

Even the massive development chart is of no help, with Tri-X's times being listed as a range!

As always, thanks!
    Common alternate dilutions for longer developing times or contrast control are Dilution E or the unofficial Dilution H(1+64 or 1+62 depending on who you ask). HC-110 is just like Rodinal, you can play with the dilutions to match your requirements. If you must use the textbook Dilution B, try presoaking in plain water for 2 minutes with agitation before pouring in the developer. This should prevent uneven development for short development times. Use at least 6.25ml of HC syrup per 135-36 roll (some claim half that is sufficient. I have gone as low as 5 ml with no problems). And as always try it out first. You should do your Tri-X in your trusted developer if it contains anything important. I do Tri-X at 10 minutes at 1+50, 2 minute presoak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin