Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,991   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What's the problem with these shots?

Sent 2 rolls of Ilford Pan F 50 to a lab to be developed and scan and the photos came out without much contrast and just looked very grey.

What went wrong?

I'm very new to film so if some of you could enlighten me that would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 08.jpg   30.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    They look underexposed to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You scanned or they did?
    Either way, it's a bad scan.
    The black point (ie the blackest part of the image) needs to be set a lot lower (blacker).
    Ditto the white point, needs to be set a lot higher (whiter).
    Then the rest of the tones will fall in between black and white, not between grey and greyer as they are now.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    They scanned it.

The rest of the rolls are equally greyish, underexposed or not.

Thanks Dr Croubie, might take the negatives elsewhere to be scanned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can easily see if the negs are OK, just hold them up to the light. If they look as greyish and dull as these scans, then there's something wrong with the negs. But if you can easily see dark bits and light bits in the negative, then yeah, it's a scanning problem.

(ps, I like the tree in the temple one, should look great when it's scanned/printed properly)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scanning negatives, whether color or black & white, is tricky. If you know what you're doing its easy for correctly exposed shots and correctly lit scenes. When the exposure or the lighting off, or extreme, it can be difficult. I agree with previous posts... looks like really bad scans.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Making simple black and white point adjustments (research this on DPUG or elsewhere with more info on scanning) show the shot with the boy to be underexposed (if you were wanting his face to be properly exposed) and the tree image to be correctly exposed.

Hope you don't mind me posting these slightly edited versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boyonbike.jpg   treehouse.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since this is APUG, you could always just get "real" silver gelatin prints made.... Just a thought.

Really, this forum is not for scanning discussions. Do go to DPUG or somewhere; you'll get your answers there.

Doremus

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long did you have the films between last exposure and sending to development ? PAN F+ is an excelent film but it has rather poor latent image stability. You should develop as soon as possible after exposure. Exactly how long you can store it exposed but not developed is dificult to say but I don't think the delay should exceed a month.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about posting a shot of the negs? Could be fogged film, could be underexposure. The negs will tell the tale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin