Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I use a similar personal MQ tweak that uses a full 80g of carbonate. You need it.
    What makes it needed, Drew?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Interesting. I have used that formula for my standard formula for over 20 years. The only difference in the formula I have is that it calls for 87.g Sod Carbonate. Mine comes from Patrick Dignans Photographic 150 DIY formulas. Calls it Dupont 54D.

Dennis
    One of the commonest faults with the Photo Lab Index and all subsequent US books is the muddling of the weights of compounds like Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Sulphite which are (were) available in more than one form. Dupont give weights for monohydrated and anhydrous Sodiunm Carbonate in their instructions,

Defender became part of DuPont as did the coating/chemistry side of Dr C. Schleussner Fotowerke GmbH (better known as Adox) a few years later. Dupont had links with Ilford before WWII, one of Ilfords senior research chemists Renwick spent some time working in the US at Dupont (1922-25) before returning to the UK to head Ilfords research department, Later Rennwick introduced Multigrade paper but it's UK commercial production was delayed due to the outbreak of WWII and Duponts Varigam paper was commercially available first, made under license from Ilord.

The instruction leaflet for Varigam is actually titled Dupont Defender Varigam, and in 1947 the Dupont Photo Products Department is called the "Defender" division, by 1951 the Defender name was dropped so formulae names changed.

Ian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, when did the coating/chemistry operations of Adox become part of DuPont? Did that include research as well? Basically what I'm asking is, was that when the original/real "Adox" as we know it disappeared?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DuPont took over Schleussner in 1962 and continued making the same products using the Adox brand name. In 1972 Dupont sold some of the German coating plant and licensed the formulae to Fotokemika who used the trade name EFKE, that's when the original Adox brand name ceased for films & papers. Film boxes carried the Made under License from DuPont.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin