Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,906   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Defender/DuPont 54-D cool tone developer - correct formula?

I was making up a litre of this paper developer tonight (I like the colour it produces) using the formula below, when I suddenly thought, That seems an awful lot of carbonate ... so I regoogled around and found variations.

• Water 750ml
      Metol 2.7g
      Sodium sulfite (anhy) 40g
      Hydroquinone 10.6g
      Sodium carbonate (anhy) 75g
      KBr 0.8g
      Water to 1000ml

The variations I found are only in the amount of Sodium carbonate. The one above is in the Darkroom Cookbook 3rd Ed. as well as elsewhere (including APUG)

However I've also seen it given as 75g carbonate (monohydrate) and 87g carbonate (monohydrate)

I think 75g anhydrous = 88g monohydrate and that this is why there are variations in the formulas I found (as a result of transcription errors), but I might be wildly wrong on both of course

So, two questions:

1 Anyone (Ian Grant?) know the "definitive" formula?

2. What are the practical consequences of varying the level of carbonate in a developer such as this? WIll ~10g or so really make that much difference?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To convert from anhydrous sodium carbonate to monohydrate, multiply by ~1.17. This is based on the relative molecular weights, sodium carbonate being 106.00 and sodium carbonate monohydrate being 124.00.

So 75g anhydrous would be ~88g monohydrate. This is only 8g/l monohydrate more than D-72.

All other variables being equal, variations around that size relative to the total amount of carbonate would have only a very small impact on pH, but the greater quantity can mean slightly stronger buffering. It really depends on the formula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As for the definitive formula for 54-D, Ian would be a good source.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    As for the definitive formula for 54-D, Ian would be a good source.
    I actually have a scan of a Defender paper instruction leaflet with it somewhere

Defender 54-D

Metol 2.7g
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) 40.2 g
    Hydroquinone 10.5g
    Sodium carbonate (anhy) 75g
    KBr 0.8g
    Water to 1 litre

You'll see minor weight differences due to rounding up/down of conversions.

I cross checked the 3rd Edition of the Darkroom Coobook before it went to press for Steve Anchell and we found a lot of errors which were in virtually all in prior US books of formulae, almost all from errors in the Morgan & Lester Photo Lab Index,

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah excellent, thank you Ian.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    (shakes fist at the Photo Lab Index)

I very much like D-54, quite a good match IMO for Ilford's MG RC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed.

Also Fotospeed VC RC. Gives an almost "toned" look in this developer.

It'll also be interesting to try with some very old papers I've just been given (a box of Kodak Bromide grade 1 8x10, and a few sheets of Agfa Brovira 5x7)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use a similar personal MQ tweak that uses a full 80g of carbonate. You need it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Interesting. I have used that formula for my standard formula for over 20 years. The only difference in the formula I have is that it calls for 87.g Sod Carbonate. Mine comes from Patrick Dignans Photographic 150 DIY formulas. Calls it Dupont 54D.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin