Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 705

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hgraf View Post
    Which reel do you use?

I was prepared to have lots of trouble reeling, but the Paterson plastic reels are so easy, my first practice attempt was perfect. I haven't had a SINGLE reel that didn't turn out perfectly.

Even in 120, while it took me a little longer the first time, it went on the reel without issue. 36 exposure films go on just as easy as 24. It is an amazing system.

TTYL
    I started out using Patterson reels, practiced with both 35mm and 120. Couldn't get the feel for it. Switched to stainless, watched a YouTube, had a eureka moment, and it has been pie and cake ever since. I simply find them easier to handle. I am a fairly small human, so it could be that. Not to mention, my hands are pretty wonky due to Still's. I am pretty picky about which reels I use, though. I vastly prefer those with the big round clips to those with the paperclip type things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hgraf View Post
    Which reel do you use?

............. but the Paterson plastic reels are so easy, my first practice attempt was perfect. I haven't had a SINGLE reel that didn't turn out perfectly.

Even in 120, while it took me a little longer the first time, it went on the reel without issue. 36 exposure films go on just as easy as 24. It is an amazing system.

TTYL
    Unless they are damp or wet. Like anything, your mileage my very.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Unless they are damp or wet. Like anything, your mileage my very.
    I didn't think of that. Never have tried to load a wet reel. I can see that being a problem, considering the Paterson slides the film into the spiral, vs. the steel reels that don't.

I'll keep that issue in mind, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Ditto to this and do not use too much. A few drops of straight Photoflo are sufficient. If you see foaming, you used too much.

Is this really true? Photo Flo causes of if it even thinks about going into water. I always see a lot of foam when rinsing with Photo Flo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Is this really true? Photo Flo causes of if it even thinks about going into water. I always see a lot of foam when rinsing with Photo Flo.
    What you want Photo Flo to achieve is to relieve the water of its surface tension. You don't need much to do that. If you use too much wetting agent, it may leave residue behind that is unwanted.

PhotoFlo is supposed to be used at a 1:200 concentration, so if you have 500ml of water, you need 2.5ml of PhotoFlo. There used to be a very concentrated PhotoFlo 600, which was supposed to be used at 1:600. Tough to measure such small quantities.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What you want Photo Flo to achieve is to relieve the water of its surface tension. You don't need much to do that. If you use too much wetting agent, it may leave residue behind that is unwanted.

PhotoFlo is supposed to be used at a 1:200 concentration, so if you have 500ml of water, you need 2.5ml of PhotoFlo. There used to be a very concentrated PhotoFlo 600, which was supposed to be used at 1:600. Tough to measure such small quantities.
    I have a pipette that can accurately measure 2.5 mls. That will generate a LOT of foam in the final rinse. A LOT. That is why I questioned the person who said that if you are seeing foam, you are using too much. A few drops gets you foam, much less than 2.5 mls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess it depends on how you use it. I keep tempered water in a separate bowl, and I add the appropriate amount of wetting agent to it.
    Then off the reel I see saw the length of the film through the solution, ten times. No bubbles.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I have a pipette that can accurately measure 2.5 mls. That will generate a LOT of foam in the final rinse. A LOT. That is why I questioned the person who said that if you are seeing foam, you are using too much. A few drops gets you foam, much less than 2.5 mls.
    You are probably agitating too much. And it isn't a "rinse", it is a "soak".

Here is what Kodak suggests for the 30 seconds the film is supposed to be in the mixed solution: "Provide gentle agitation for 5 seconds of the total time. To reduce drying scum, mix KODAK PHOTO-FLO Solution with distilled water in areas that have hard water."

You should also mix the working solution up gently - stirring isn't required.

I mix my working solution up during the development stage.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I guess it depends on how you use it. I keep tempered water in a separate bowl, and I add the appropriate amount of wetting agent to it.
    Then off the reel I see saw the length of the film through the solution, ten times. No bubbles.
    Do you mix in the photo flo? This is a surfactant and requires mechanical energy to disperse through out the fluid. It will not arrange into micelles without mixing energy.

I get enormous bubbles just gently swirling the mixture. Then when adding a reel into the tank, at least 1 inch of bubbles forms. The film comes out coated in bubbles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You are probably agitating too much. And it isn't a "rinse", it is a "soak".

Here is what Kodak suggests for the 30 seconds the film is supposed to be in the mixed solution: "Provide gentle agitation for 5 seconds of the total time. To reduce drying scum, mix KODAK PHOTO-FLO Solution with distilled water in areas that have hard water."

You should also mix the working solution up gently - stirring isn't required.

I mix my working solution up during the development stage.
    I dont actually mix the photo flo in. I add the drops into the tank and then add the water at a very slow rate. Very slow. Also, I point the water towards to the side of the tank so that it hits there first and then drains into the tank. This absorbs most of the mechanical energy. The movement of the water filling the tank is what mixes in the photo flo but even with my precautions, it still forms foam. I could not really add water much more slowly as my tap is almost off.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin