Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,348   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Why all the dislike for tabular-type films?

A quick jaunt around various internet forums (excluding this one) seems to turn up all sorts of hate toward tabular-type films, with a particular dislike of anything Tmax. I turned up posts that said it looks "sterile" "clinical" and "digital" and it requires special developers and is as difficult to develop as reversal film. Also, it gets scratched easily, the highlights are "delicate" and get "blown out" easily unless you meter very carefully. They have no latitude and behave very much like a digital image. One poster said Tmax films "make me sick". Posts like this kept me from trying any tabular films for years, but once I did I didn't run into any of the problems that I read about. Does anyone know where all this craziness is coming from? I have not encountered any of these issues ever. I processed a bunch of TMY-2 with a thermometer I didn't know was broken, the temp was way higher than 20/68 and the negatives were perfectly printable and the highlights were just fine. I've run it through beat up old antiques with dubious shutter speed without issue either. Are these real problems with these films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kids say the darndest things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Think TMax100 looks different from Tri-X. Negs to print from it are often thinner than the older films and some judge the negative rather than the final print.
    TMx 100 used to(still does?) has a UV blocking layer that makes it generally unsuitable for alt processes that rely on UV exposure.

Take any film or film/developer combination you want and some won't like it for whatever reason while others will find it works well for them.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kids say the darndest things.
    Indeed they do.

Welcome to the world of great film. TMY is one of the most versatile film ever made, you can make it look like anything you want when you learn to use it under different lighting conditions with different developers.
    Spend some time with the TMY and it will reward you. I have less experience with TMX why I don't include that in my praise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never for the life of me understood what the differences are between TMax and "regular" films. So given that, I just shoot regular film.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether or not Acros is a Tabular type film. Some say yes, some say no. I do shoot a lot of Acros so there you go.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Acros is tabular....

It's mostly old dogs who don't like new things... Ignore them and find your own way
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps they have a " Medium Format" feel to them that some don't like?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    Perhaps they have a " Medium Format" feel to them that some don't like?
    You're saying my TMY-2 4x5 sheet film and Delta100 4x5 sheet film and Acros100 4x5 sheet film have a "medium format" feel?....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be that people who like the more idiosyncratic things about older films (like large grain) are most likely to be disappointed by the extraordinary qualities of T-Max and the Delta films and Acros.

In B & W I shoot Plus-X and T-Max 400. I like the differences, and I'll miss Plus-X when I've used up what I already have, but I'm more likely to transition to T-Max 100 than FP4+.

Not that FP4+ isn't great film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, since Verichrome Pan, Plus-X, Panatomic, and the others are all gone, that leaves Tri-X. At least as far as I know. And Tr-X has a distinctive grain, whether in D-76, or Microdol. Some people like the grain of TX and D-76. Though I'm basically a Microdol man, TX and D-76 makes for a marriage suited for those who like good grain. The latitude of the film is stupendous, and no other film can do what TX does.
    It took me a long time to "accept" T-max, though it's been around 30 years. But considering the alternative of digital killing film entirely, it has become tolerable to me to the point I'm glad it's out there. It really is some fine stuff, if you can put up with its stubborn fixing qualities. Seems like it's always hungry for fresh fixer and can't get enough of it.

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin