Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,010   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ...no one has mentioned lead lined film bags...a viable option?...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    ...no one has mentioned lead lined film bags...a viable option?...

Not really. If X-ray examination cannot penetrate and explain something and there are reasonable grounds to investigate, the luggage will be stopped and inspected and...potentially, the contents passed through for xray examination. Pray that is not the checked luggage machine for that inspection, Carry-on security screening is fairly innocuous. Last July my sister came back from a long trip to Canada and two rolls of Provia 100F had passed through a total of 16 x-ray inspection points (including cruise docks). There was no damage at all to these, taken as carry-on but three SD cards in checked baggage (along with digi camera) were not at all readable, necessitating contact with a minilab in Vancouver to post a CD of images from the trip.

The best advice is to never ever put or conceal film in checked baggage. Any object that cannot be reasonably explained by passive xray examination will be yanked out for inspection. It's the nature of air security now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    I'm traveling to Europe in a month or so and plan to mostly shoot my favorite, ilford delta 3200. I was going to go the hand check method but that's sometimes a pain. I'm considering buying film when I arrive, how hard is it to obtain ilford products in Paris, or Munich? Are the prices crazy?
    I would expect film prices to be a bit higher; about the same but in euros, which adds up quickly. I'd buy here and hand check when possible (probably 1-2 passes on 3200 would still be fine, but I honestly don't know). I was recently in France and Spain and very happy I brought film with me.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for those responses! I haven't made all of my travel arrangements yet, but I may end up flying into London and having a few hours there in which case I may pickup film there then shoot it all then maybe get it to ilford uk for there develop/scan/print service a day before I leave or even have them ship the processed rolls back to me. That all may work quite nicely!

I'm distracting a bit from the thread though. I haven't had a roll of film damaged by x-rays though I rarely as the. Through the x-rays before. I always carry the film in a plastic bag unboxed and request a hand inspection. I usually don't have any issues, but recently I've had some troubles. The last time there was a big fuss about it in Mexico, I didn't have any high ISO film but i had pushed tri-x. Anyway to avoid that stress in anyway would be great. Having 3200 stamped on my film ought to help. Sometimes makes me wish for digital

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you put it in your checked bags it got blasted for sure. I always carry film on the plane and have never had an issue.

From Baggage X-ray Scanning Effects on Film by Kodak:

X-ray equipment used to inspect carry-on baggage uses a very low level of x-radiation that will not cause noticeable damage to most films. However, baggage that is checked (loaded on the planes as cargo) often goes through equipment with higher energy X rays.

If you check that link you can also see examples of what X-ray damage looks like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Today's x-ray scanners are capable of producing photons between 5keV to 250keV depending on the nature of the material they are scanning. A camera with brass parts triggers these machines to go to the highest energy settings. It doesn't take very long to fog even low speed film or riddle solid state storage with errors if exposed to twice the beam energy of a chest x-ray.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exposed or unexposed, undeveloped film should not be checked in. As for the hand luggage scan, usually it is fine for up to ISO 400 or ISO 800 film. I usually check the websites of the airports I pass and almost always recommendations for film are still listed, like Heathrow, for instance: http://www.heathrowairport.com/plan-...-photographers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshisato View Post
    Exposed or unexposed, undeveloped film should not be checked in. As for the hand luggage scan, usually it is fine for up to ISO 400 or ISO 800 film. I usually check the websites of the airports I pass and almost always recommendations for film are still listed, like Heathrow, for instance: http://www.heathrowairport.com/plan-...-photographers
    As above, never check in your film unless it's developed. I fly a lot and I had lots of rolls xrayed. Few even around 10 times, but I always ask for handcheck for film which is 800 iso or higher. Or film that I have pushed higher than 800.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Then I mailed it all back to myself before leaving to return home.

Problem solved.

What makes you believe that mailed film is not X-rayed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What makes you believe that mailed film is not X-rayed?
    Densitometer checks of film base plus fog levels between mailed and non-mailed negatives developed together from the same emulsion batch. Plus the fact that the mail order film processing industry could not even exist if that threat were present.

So far, so good...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin