Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,804   Online: 834

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far so good.

I know of one case of fogging of film sent intercontinentally by a dealer. But I admit so far this is the only case I got to know. But I also know of X-raying of parcels at customs controls.
    Furthermore there is that X-/Gamma-raying of complete containers, though that likely will not be done on parcel post containers as they are loaded/unloaded at premises under control anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    X-ray in carryon Security is very different than X-ray of checked baggage. Checked baggage involves use of a much higher dose of radiation, in order to generate a CT Scan of the checked baggage. Kodak has long stated to NOT put film into checked luggage at all. Film easily survives multiple passes thru carryon x-ray machines, but zero passes thru CT.
    Last edited by wiltw; 03-08-2014 at 12:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not know they were such a difference of X ray exposition between the carryon X ray machine and the checked baggage CT.
    Damned, I have 30x 120 rolls I used in Antarctica and last summer in France to develop. They all went through the checked baggage CT

By the way, do the courier and USPS shipping go trough powerful CT too?
    This would imply that any film & paper ordered from B&H, Freestyle... by non-US clients receive a bad dose of XRay?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post
    I did not know they were such a difference of X ray exposition between the carryon X ray machine and the checked baggage CT.
    Damned, I have 30x 120 rolls I used in Antarctica and last summer in France to develop. They all went through the checked baggage CT

This would imply that any film & paper ordered from B&H, Freestyle... by non-US clients receive a bad dose of XRay?
    Sorry to hear that. It might depend on each counties customs, but here in Australia every sing package gets xrayed and so far so good. After ordering film from B&H, macodirect and various places in Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in such panic reading this thread that I went straight in my darkroom and processed one roll of Trix 400 from my Antarctica trip. The neg looks fine. It looks like the Hobart airport CT machine are gentle machine compared to their north American cousins.

Might be a different story with my rolls used in France...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also think you might find it that some rolls might be effected and others are not. Hope it all works out well, it's not like you can repeat the trip next weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post

All items destined for Australian ports controlled by Customs (Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne) will have inspection ranging from passive to active; passive being sniffer dogs that scan all packages on a conveyor. Active is any parcel going through xray (and all parcels do, it is a continuous process) that turns up something that requires a stop. It is then set aside. If it cannot be identified with standard xray procedure, it is elevated to a more penetrative contrast view. Manual interrogation of the parcel is next (including scrutiny of value), but this would be most unlikely for photographic materials which are clearly and correctly identified and valued as such, but everything still goes through inbound xray examination. This is why I would not be ordering photographic materials like film or paper from the USA.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't speak for other countries, but I actually work at the security checkpoint at O'Hare airport. As mentioned, NEVER put film in your checked bag. When you hand carry your film, even if it's 800 ISO or under, I still recommend getting it hand checked. It's really no big deal. If the officer tries to give you trouble because you want slower film hand checked (and he really shouldn't be giving you trouble for that), just say you pushed it to 1600. He won't know you're lying.

If you have sheet film, you may have to explain what it is for a hand check, especially if it's still in the film holder. Some officers know what it is right away, but because large format isn't all that common these days, many do not.

Now, if you have a roll of film in your camera that you want hand checked, finish shooting the roll, and pull it out. You won't always be granted a hand inspection for a camera because that's one of those things left to be interpreted by the supervisor. You may very well have to send that camera through the x-ray.

And DO NOT use lead lined bags. You're film will get to go for a second ride through the machine, guaranteed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by peteyj
    If you have sheet film, you may have to explain what it is for a hand check, especially if it's still in the film holder. Some officers know what it is right away, but because large format isn't all that common these days, many do not.
    I still recall when I travelled with medium format SLR and many rolls of exposed 120 film, and the security guy wanted me to break the outer seal on some of the exposed rolls and unroll them!!!

As for hand inspection, the guys at Heathrow must be deaf...they have never, never ever complied with any of my many requests for hand inspection of 'fast film' whether 135 or 120 format. 'Hand inspection' must look to their lip reading like 'thru the Xray', as I can find no other reason for the no-verbal reply to requests for hand inspection at Heathrow.

Shooter
    35mm
    Never ever put film in checked bags. It is guaranteed to get fried. In the US the TSA website also mentions this. It also mentions that film in carry ons IS safe. I've never had problems with all the hundreds of rolls I've put in my x rayed carry on luggage over the years. Popular Photography magazine did an article years ago. It took something like a few dozen passes through a carry on scanner before any noticeable fog showed up. Even "safe" x rays will fog your film, it's just how much you can accept. Common environmental radiation fogs your film while you're shooting it. The heat from your hands while reloading adds some more. I give up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin