Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,463   Online: 911

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    I still recall when I travelled with medium format SLR and many rolls of exposed 120 film, and the security guy wanted me to break the outer seal on some of the exposed rolls and unroll them!!!

As for hand inspection, the guys at Heathrow must be deaf...they have never, never ever complied with any of my many requests for hand inspection of 'fast film' whether 135 or 120 format. 'Hand inspection' must look to their lip reading like 'thru the Xray', as I can find no other reason for the no-verbal reply to requests for hand inspection at Heathrow.
    Unfortunately, only the USA has actual regulations that allow hand inspection of photographic materials. The FAA has a sign for this, which is often (but not always) posted at airports. I don't believe any of the EU nations allow this liberty. Also, the FAA explicitly warns that one should never put photographic materials in checked baggage. There is a large technical literature about the effect of carry-on scanners, but one should remember that the dose to the film is cumulative if you need to go through checked-baggage x-ray many times before development.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    Unfortunately, only the USA has actual regulations that allow hand inspection of photographic materials. The FAA has a sign for this, which is often (but not always) posted at airports. I don't believe any of the EU nations allow this liberty. Also, the FAA explicitly warns that one should never put photographic materials in checked baggage. There is a large technical literature about the effect of carry-on scanners, but one should remember that the dose to the film is cumulative if you need to go through checked-baggage x-ray many times before development.
    I personally always put my film in a clear plastic bag and remove it from my carry on when going through the x-ray scanners. I figure that this prevents any problems should the inspectors decide they want to rescan or randomly search my bag for any reason.

When I did this in Beijing airport recently, the security personnel spotted my bag of film in the tray on the conveyor belt and immediately insisted on hand checking without even being asked.

I found southeast Asia to be very accommodating to film shooters. My bag went through 15-20 x-ray scans, but my film didn't go through any.

I don't even bother asking for hand checking in European airports, however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skysh4rk View Post
    I personally always put my film in a clear plastic bag and remove it from my carry on when going through the x-ray scanners. I figure that this prevents any problems should the inspectors decide they want to rescan or randomly search my bag for any reason.

When I did this in Beijing airport recently, the security personnel spotted my bag of film in the tray on the conveyor belt and immediately insisted on hand checking without even being asked.

I found southeast Asia to be very accommodating to film shooters. My bag went through 15-20 x-ray scans, but my film didn't go through any.

I don't even bother asking for hand checking in European airports, however.
    I went through Beijing in 2008 right before the Olympic games when security was tight and they were marching through an army of police. I asked for a hand check and still got it. I have more trouble in my home country (Australia) on trying to get hand checks. Though imo it's unnecessary. Just all film has to be carry on.

You should have put 1 roll through that many carry-on scans, it'd be interesting to see if that many scans have an effect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I went through Beijing in 2008 right before the Olympic games when security was tight and they were marching through an army of police. I asked for a hand check and still got it. I have more trouble in my home country (Australia) on trying to get hand checks. Though imo it's unnecessary. Just all film has to be carry on.
    I agree that it's typically unnecessary. I ordinarily wouldn't even bother with hand checks—I've never had any fogging that I've been able to see—but I knew that I'd be going through far more scans than usual while in Asia, so I'd planned on asking a few times as I didn't want to risk it. I didn't realise that I'd be that successful!

Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    You should have put 1 roll through that many carry-on scans, it'd be interesting to see if that many scans have an effect.
    Hmmm... That would have been a very good idea. I might try to do something like that in the near future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried to get my film hand checked when flying in Europe a couple of times, but have given up on that notion after being told repeatedly that my options are either to have them x-rayed or unrolled and exposed to light. Not much of an option, and the fact that I had ISO 3200 film made no difference to them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I tried to get my film hand checked when flying in Europe a couple of times, but have given up on that notion after being told repeatedly that my options are either to have them x-rayed or unrolled and exposed to light. Not much of an option, and the fact that I had ISO 3200 film made no difference to them.
    How did the 3200 ISO film fare after the X-rays?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin