Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,381   Online: 970

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HP5 at ISO1600

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Oh and Ratty, what I did to meter with that is use my old Sekonic Deluxe incident meter, went to the sign on the left (you can't see it, but you can see the reflection if it on the ground in the 3rd image) and metered for that, leaving about a 6 foot distance from the light source, I assumed the two signs being similar would give similar results (and I couldn't reach the other "merit canteen" sign words, anyway I wanted them slightly less than fully blown out, and the interior to have some light from the inside, which is why I chose 6 feet from the light source, it seemed to be about the same amount of light as what would be inside the restaurant.... This was mostly just experience with metering this kind of scene, I certainly wouldn't have trusted my internal meter to this, I always carry my incident meter or spot meter when shooting low light.

This was probably f/3.5 @ 1/30 or 1/15 with my yashika44LM 127 film (46mm re-rolled ilford special run).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Would it not be better to rate 3200 film at 1600?
    From my PERSONAL experience, HP5+ pushes almost better than D3200 and is finer grained. Also, if you rate 3200 film (really 1000 speed) at 1600, the film will be VERY low in contrast, almost too much for most people, giving a very flat image.

PLUS D3200 isn't available in all formats, so it's nice to be able to utilize HP5+ for many different uses, it will also certainly be around longer than D3200... And fogs less... Is cheaper... Etc.

Plus I think the OP just wanted to see if it would work.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    From my PERSONAL experience, HP5+ pushes almost better than D3200 and is finer grained. Also, if you rate 3200 film (really 1000 speed) at 1600, the film will be VERY low in contrast, almost too much for most people, giving a very flat image.
    That depends on how you expose and develop it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    That depends on how you expose and develop it.
    We will have to agree to disagree... I'm not getting into a pissing match over something obvious, a 400 speed film like HP5+ has normal, if not almost less contrast shot at 400 than "average" contrast, so shot and developed at 1600 would have a lot more contrast being 2 stops under exposed and pushed...

If you take the same equation, with D3200 that's truly 1000 in speed, but is designed to give "normal" contrast at 3200, if shot and developed at only 1600, it will have a lower contrast than normal... Being shot only 1/2 a stop faster than it's speed....

So given those factors, HP5+ will always have more contrast than D3200 if both shot at the same EI and developed to the same EI...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The final contrast of your negative is going to be mostly under your control. Sure, the under exposure will lessen shadow detail, but after that it's all about how long you develop your film. So a D3200 neg shot at EI1600 can still have practically any contrast you want.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    a 400 speed film like HP5+ has normal, if not almost less contrast shot at 400 than "average" contrast, .
    I am having difficulties with this part of your reply in terms of working out exactly what you mean. Can you help me here?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I am having difficulties with this part of your reply in terms of working out exactly what you mean. Can you help me here?

Thanks

pentaxuser
    HP5+ is lower in contrast shot at box speed than other 400 speed films shot at box speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5+ is lower in contrast shot at box speed than other 400 speed films shot at box speed.
    Sorry, Stone, but that doesn't compute. If your negative contrast is low you develop the film longer. Then your contrast isn't low anymore.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

HP5 at ISO1600

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Sorry, Stone, but that doesn't compute. If your negative contrast is low you develop the film longer. Then your contrast isn't low anymore.
    I'm talking standard dev times according to manufacturer...

yes you can adjust that to adjust contrast (as well as temp and dilution, other) I'm talking standard times. the films natural "habits" HP5+ is designed to be pushed, so it's designed to be slightly lower in contrast at box speed with manufacturer given times so as you push it, it will have normal contrast, this is true to an even higher degree with D3200, so it will have a lower contrast at 1600 than HP5+ at 1600.

People don't like to think of it as PUSHING but even zone system adjustments for n1+\- etc, you're pushing or pulling, which adjusts contrast... They just like to think of it as a different thing, but it's not. (My opinion).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So, lets see the densitometer plot.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin