Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,830   Posts: 1,582,288   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HC-110 Foamy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Photo-Flo contains an anti-foaming agent.
    It still foams. A lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The question that you really want to ask is: Does it matter that you get foam in the tank?

I have seen plenty of negatives where air bubbles prevent fresh developer from reaching the film, leaving portions of the negative less developed than other areas. This is usually around the edges of the film where it gets stuck between the reel and two 'walls' of film.

If you rap your tank firmly on the counter top before you set the tank to rest between agitation cycles, you will not have any problems from this foaming.

The foaming is one of those things that people get puzzled about, and ask questions, without really thinking whether it matters or not. Kind of like the pink stain of some films doesn't affect printing in a way that can actually be quantified, but people still feel like there's a great need to get rid of it.

Process your film and look at the negatives. If the negatives are good - what difference does it make that the developer foams?
    Nothing wrong with being curious. Nobody said anything about it being a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Nothing wrong with being curious. Nobody said anything about it being a problem.
    I've spent, sadly, the bulk of my 20 year career fighting foam in emulsion chemistry. I find foam to be a fascinating subject for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    It still foams. A lot.
    Kodak's recommendation is for far more Photo-Flo than is needed. You only need just enough to break down the surface tension of the water. This amounts to 2-3 drops per 250 ml of solution. Much less foaming at this concentration.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had foam pour out with HC110 with Ilford films, but not Kodak Tri-x, and Photo flo never touches my developing gear. Doesn't seem to be a problem, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin