Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 762

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HC-110 Foamy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HC-110 Foamy?

My last few runs with HC-110 showed a significant amount of foam once I opened up the tank to pour out the developer. I'm curious to know if that's normal. Any other users report seeing foam after all your agitation? This is with just dilution B in the tank and nothing else (aside from film; HP5).

I wash my Patersen tanks until the rinse water does not foam at all so I'm pretty sure that there is no soap residue left over from the cleaning stage of the last development run.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Films such as HP-5 have incorporated surfactants, probably to aid in more even development. That is probably what you are seeing. I've seen a bit of that as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    try the search function before you start a new thread because this has been explained already.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...ming-help.html
    or google: https://www.google.com/search?q=hc-1...x-a&channel=sb
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I get this as well. With APH09 a little, HC110 more. So I would say it is normal, I never noticed any influence on development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Films such as HP-5 have incorporated surfactants, probably to aid in more even development. That is probably what you are seeing. I've seen a bit of that as well.
    Ah, that must be it. I dont recall seeing foam when I ran Delta 3200 through HC-110. Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    try the search function before you start a new thread because this has been explained already.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...ming-help.html
    or google: https://www.google.com/search?q=hc-1...x-a&channel=sb
    But please note that by asking this question afresh, a totally different set of answers are emerging than were offered four years ago in the thread you linked to.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right. The photo-flo theory is good except for those who don't use it. You could try this experiment: place the empty reels in the tank and fill with water, agitate and then check for foaming, if so wetting agent in tank and reels is likely fault. If not mix some HC110 and repeat the test using the developer instead of water. If yes then it's likely the HC110. If no then try with a roll of film in the tank, develop as normal, no presoak. If yes the film is the likely source.
    Nothing to be concerned about in that case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'b be willing to bet that all developers will exhibit foam if agitation is vigorous and there is at least some space above the fluid in the tank.

As long as there is enough fluid in the tank, it probably doesn't matter.

Although if a developer is particularly susceptible to oxidation, it would probably be wise to temper the activity of the agitation.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photo-Flo contains an anti-foaming agent.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The question that you really want to ask is: Does it matter that you get foam in the tank?

I have seen plenty of negatives where air bubbles prevent fresh developer from reaching the film, leaving portions of the negative less developed than other areas. This is usually around the edges of the film where it gets stuck between the reel and two 'walls' of film.

If you rap your tank firmly on the counter top before you set the tank to rest between agitation cycles, you will not have any problems from this foaming.

The foaming is one of those things that people get puzzled about, and ask questions, without really thinking whether it matters or not. Kind of like the pink stain of some films doesn't affect printing in a way that can actually be quantified, but people still feel like there's a great need to get rid of it.

Process your film and look at the negatives. If the negatives are good - what difference does it make that the developer foams?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin