Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,730   Posts: 1,670,292   Online: 977

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by K-G View Post
    When you turn on the enlarger and realizes that the lens is wide open because you forgot to stop it down after refocusing .

Karl-Gustaf
    Or... you don't realise it and then get a test strip with various shades of black.

Shooter
    Medium Format

list of photographic problems, photographs? troubleshooting ...

Well, I thought I would post this here, since I have no idea what this is. FYI - this is about 1/20th of a 120 negative.

I've examined the negatives with a loupe -- there doesn't appear to be residue on either side. I've not seen this before on my negatives. This was my first roll of neopan acros 100, developed in DDX, all my usual protocols observed and traditional workflow followed. Apologies if this is some incredibly common thing and TIA.

Edited to add that this is in the negatives (ie, not a scanning thing) and is not on the surface of the negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I would have pointed to noise-reduction on scanning, but if it's not that then I'm stumped.
    Halation? It does seem to follow the contours of the hair.
    Maybe some weird thing where the developer has been working on a high-activity area and somehow stripped the emulsion from the plastic?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Well I would have pointed to noise-reduction on scanning, but if it's not that then I'm stumped.
    Halation? It does seem to follow the contours of the hair.
    Maybe some weird thing where the developer has been working on a high-activity area and somehow stripped the emulsion from the plastic?
    Yes, I was wondering about that. In the other frames with this problem, it does seem to sort of (?) stick to certain areas. Could this be because I over-developed? Or is it the film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Two pages from Kodak's 1988 Darkroom Dataguide ​:
    David, thanks for that. I thought the first example of wine glasses was a good guide for beginners and worth studying. It gives some guidance as to what is more easily or less easily recoverable when printing. It would have been even more helpful if Kodak had shown what the same exposure straight print looked like.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    Well, I thought I would post this here, since I have no idea what this is. FYI - this is about 1/20th of a 120 negative.

I've examined the negatives with a loupe -- there doesn't appear to be residue on either side. I've not seen this before on my negatives. This was my first roll of neopan acros 100, developed in DDX, all my usual protocols observed and traditional workflow followed. Apologies if this is some incredibly common thing and TIA.

Edited to add that this is in the negatives (ie, not a scanning thing) and is not on the surface of the negatives.

ive had stuff like that,
    i just chalked it up to luck ..

are the negatives thin? dense?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I saw the thread title I parsed it in the sense of "chess problems" or "bouldering problems", and I thought it was going to be about photographic exercises chosen to highlight specific technical challenges. You know: Exposure handling to get a good portrait of a black cat, compositions that are challenging to frame, stuff like that. Which might have been a pretty interesting though quite different thread.

There isn't already a body of that stuff, is there? _1001 Technical Problems For Students Of Photography_?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    when i started this thread i had envisioned a photographic log of photographic problems
    photoflo ripples from overly concentrated photoflow
    white splotches on film from negatives touching in mal-spooled film
    film holder abrasions
    pinholes from stop bath
    i am sure there are thousands of things that peoples' film
    ( problem film )
    shows ...
    since there are so many threads that are like
    " hey what happened to my film "
    this thread i imagined would show visuals if a cornucopia of film-issues
    rather than "funstuff" from darkroom/camera problems ...
    i would post pages from the index of the horenstein book i have, it is very good
    but i dont want to deal with copyright issues ...
    and thought maybe we all would be able to come up with our own film problem index
    not in the gallery since a lot of participants might not be subscribers, although
    if this thread does good, maybe there could be a gallery sub area or group that deals with problems ..

thanks for the uploads and links so far ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-13-2014 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

list of photographic problems, photographs? troubleshooting ...

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ive had stuff like that,
    i just chalked it up to luck ..

are the negatives thin? dense?
    Negatives are otherwise nice. Here is one a few frames down that is relatively clean:

OP - thanks for starting this. I have a handful of books and sites that I run all my 'what is this?' queries through, but couldn't find anything like this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just remembered an odd negative I got a couple of months ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12035986176_ac513b7aeb_o.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	964.4 KB 
ID:	84405

I asked an experienced photo journalist about it. He said the flashes were most likely discharges of static electricity on the film itself. It happens if you advance the film too fast in cold weather, which fits the conditions when I took it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin