Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,638   Online: 1009
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,298
    John, when I had more density at the edges when I first started using the 2800 drums it was from exhaustion of the developer leading to less density in the middle; this gives the effect of over-development at the edges. However, you state this extra density is only along the film edge with the notch. As an experiment you could try using more developer and see if the problem persists.

    Haven't you been processing with that same setup for many years. Has anything changed?

  2. #12
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,475
    Images
    225
    As far as chemical sensitivity, I ALWAYS wear a chemical mask, it doesn't have eye protection or anything, just those two side filters that filter out chemicals, I would suggest wearing one of those. If you do and mentioned that, then sorry I'm repeating, but that's what I do, especially for the stop and fixer.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  3. #13
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,224
    Images
    65
    Unless the mask has activated charcoal, it only filters out dust! Dust is NOT the problem with developers, stops and fixers, it is FUMES.

    Also, Anchell and Troop state that Pyro may be the most dangerous chemical in the darkroom. They got that from Grant Haist.

    PE

  4. #14
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,475
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Unless the mask has activated charcoal, it only filters out dust! Dust is NOT the problem with developers, stops and fixers, it is FUMES.

    Also, Anchell and Troop state that Pyro may be the most dangerous chemical in the darkroom. They got that from Grant Haist.

    PE
    I forget what my mask filters but I know I made sure it filters airborne chemicals like clorox bleach and paint fumes etc it was the best thing I could buy from home depot, it certain SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the smell of fixer, but if I put my face right up to it and breathe in, I can still smell it a little, but certain MUCH less than without the mask, and standing away from it I can't smell it at all.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    171
    I'm getting all misty-eyed here remembering the hazmat suit section of classes last year

  6. #16
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,436
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    John, when I had more density at the edges when I first started using the 2800 drums it was from exhaustion of the developer leading to less density in the middle; this gives the effect of over-development at the edges. However, you state this extra density is only along the film edge with the notch. As an experiment you could try using more developer and see if the problem persists.

    Haven't you been processing with that same setup for many years. Has anything changed?
    Thanks Dale.

    The extra density is only on the 7 inch side opposite the notch. I have been sliding that edge to the bottom of the drum. In my next developing attempt I will try centering the film in the drum. I will try one sheet notch down, one sheet notch up to learn what that shows.

    Yes I have been processing in the way described for several years. Only in the last 3-6 months have I had this problem consistently.

    Thanks,

    John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

  7. #17
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,436
    Images
    6
    A side issue but this is how I protect myself from chemicals in the darkroom and my allergy to ammonium.

    The fixer I replaced is: Ilford brand Hypam: Ammonium Thiosulfate, Boric Acid, Sodium-metobsulfite, Sodium Acetate, Acetic Acid, and water.

    The new fixer is: 240g Sodium Thiosulfate dekahydrate, 15g Sodium Sulfite Anhydrous, 3g Sodium Bisulfite, mix to 1 liter. I mix 6 liters at a time and use it in two trays until a product called Hypo Check shows it has too much silver. I take the spent chemicals in gallon jugs to The University of Akron’s silver recovery system.

    For protection I wear CLC brand Nitrile powder free gloves and a 3M dual cartridge 6006 face mask. 3M™ Multi Acid Gas/Organic Vapor Cartridge 6006, Respiratory Protection 60/Case. NIOSH approved against certain organic vapors, acid gases, ammonia, methylamine or formaldehyde. The mask was purchased with this protection in mind from Bostick & Sullivan.

    I built my darkroom with two powerful Panasonic inline exhaust fans installed on the opposite side of an eight foot sink. This draws the fumes from the trays away from me to the outside. To balance that there is a dust filtered intake fan behind my back blowing past me, across the trays and out the exhaust.

    Thank you for caring,

    John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    841
    Images
    42
    I am not familiar with the CPP-2, but I would suggest looking at the tank when mounted on the processor to make sure it is level and rotating on-axis. You may have some standing waves. These would be most apparent at the base of the tank because the lid offers some extra space. I don't think it is highly likely, but since the problem is recent, I would start with physical, testable checks before playing with the chemistry.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

  9. #19
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,436
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    I am not familiar with the CPP-2, but I would suggest looking at the tank when mounted on the processor to make sure it is level and rotating on-axis. You may have some standing waves. These would be most apparent at the base of the tank because the lid offers some extra space. I don't think it is highly likely, but since the problem is recent, I would start with physical, testable checks before playing with the chemistry.
    Thank you. I was thinking that I should try leveling the tank the next time I develop. We both had a good idea.

    John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

  10. #20
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,436
    Images
    6
    Thank you all I plan to try these suggestions in my next developing, probably tomorrow. I will report back.

    In hopes of drawing answers from all who might have encountered this problem, I posted the same question on the LF Forum. Different people and different answers have appeared. If interested you might want to read:

    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...y-film-problem

    John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin