Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,840   Online: 1076

Shooter
    35mm RF

Times and dilution for Kentmere 400 shot at 200 in HC-110?

Hello everyone

I have a few rolls of Kentmere 400 that I shot at 200 quite a while back. I haven't got around to developing them but thought I should do so soon. The problem is that I haven't developed Kentmere at EI200 before using HC-110.

The MDC has one entry for Kentmere 400 at box speed - 16 min at 20C in Dil F.

I checked filmdev.org and found an entry for stand development but it's not entirely on point.

To further complicate things, I need to develop at 18C. So can anyone advise on the times for this film, shot at 200, and developed at 18C?

A great many thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Philip

Shooter
    35mm RF
    time in developer and exposure are not really related unless you believe in magic and Santa.

If you wet print on grade 2 depends if you use condenser or ground glass if you only scan use less - MDC is just rumour...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why did you shoot them at EI 200? If you did so to get more shadow detail, then I would suggest you just develop normally. HC-110 is a low-speed developer very similar to Rodinal in its tonality. The dilution H works better for me, as it compensates a bit more, which can be enhanced by giving much less agitation (2 inversions every 3-5 min). That way you get your shadow detail without sacrificing the highlights. So use the dil H times, use the standard chart for temperature adjustment (IIRC there is a copy on digitaltruth) and if you want more compensation, extend development time by 10-20% and reduce agitation. It is difficult to completely stuff it up. So try to get your first roll in the ballpark, and then make fine adjustments from there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks very much for the replies. The reason I shot the rolls at EI 200 is partly because I wanted to try this film at EI 200 and partly because I shot the rolls last summer outdoors. Dilution H (for Tri-X at box speed) is 9 minutes and it seems the temp/time conversion chart makes that 11 minutes approximately at 18C.

many thanks again
    Philip

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford's website covers time/temp conversion with a graph

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also try to reduce the recommended development time with 15-20%, as a starter. Good luck!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin