Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,206   Online: 783

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Mastery is interesting, the input requirements change with each line of output; a Salt Print, or a Platinum, or Silver Gelatin, or Carbon, or scanning and printing digitally. To really get the best from each of these outputs it takes a different line of thought and practice from start to finish. A great negative for Ilford MGIV might not be so hot for carbon.
    Absolutely agreed. I am pretty OK with scanning and printing digitally after doing it for 10 years, but I know my skills will only transfer minimally to a darkroom. Of course I started in darkroom with the enlarger in the bathroom type of deal in high school living in the family's apartment in NYC.... And the tonal characteristics of the output vary so much that you can't just shoot and expose "properly" and expect to get a great print using Salt and then also a Silver gelatin, but then also carbon etc. (Of course I know you know all these, this is for the future edification purpose...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yup, but unless you've got a free stash of well stored cibi paper and chems... That enlarger does me no good! (I have a 4x5 enlarger already just in storage). Though the way I'm going, I might need an 8x10 (or at that scale is it a 10x10?) enlarger

I just figure eventually like all of this equipment, most of the printer companies will go completely digital and at that point they will get rid of their lightjet-lambda printers for dirt cheap prices (I hope) I'm sure the lightjet brand is cheap, I'm told it's a terrible technology compared to Lambda and so maybe they are out there?
    Either way you still will have to process the photographic paper. I don't see how scanning and digital enlarging and lambda printing could ever be economically feasible (compared to optical projection printing) to anyone but the wealthy or those in the commercial industry (like Bob C).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Either way you still will have to process the photographic paper. I don't see how scanning and digital enlarging and lambda printing could ever be economically feasible (compared to optical projection printing) to anyone but the wealthy or those in the commercial industry (like Bob C).
    Perhaps a 10x10" LVT machine to record film from scans? Or are those becoming way too old? Wasn't that how a world-famous Canadian photographer made his transparencies which were then optically enlarged to Ilfochrome film for huge light-boxes?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin