Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,373   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Sharpness Revisited - a JOBO Rotary Process Saga (pt2)

Hey guys, I promised I would report when I had done more rigorous testing and found the right combo.

After being unhappy with "grain edge sharpness" which seems to be rather generalized to what we all look for in terms of image detail, I have finally found a happy medium for at least 1 film, AND I get to keep using Rodinal!

Delta100 @100 in Rodinal 1:50 12 minutes.

I may play around slightly with those variables for optimum exposure/development, but it's an EXCELLENT start!

I was so excited with my results I am of course pre-posting before I have the time to fully share the resultant examples. And they are of course scans so a fair amount of you will find less value in the results and that's ok.

But I felt that it was important to share some kind of conclusion with those of you who followed the previous sharpness thread that went all haywire.

That takes care of the 100 speed, and most of my shooting.

Still working on 400, but not done testing that yet, I've run out of sheets of HP5+ I still have 25 sheets of TMY-2 however I've decided that the only film I can justify shooting at "higher than ilford prices" is the Acros100 that I love so much for nighttime long exposures. Those rotary tests will be done at a later time, if I have no success, I may keep JUST the Acros100 development to hand processing and leave for truly important shots. And if it goes well, well then that's even better!

That's it for now, if I can get done before my GF gets here I can post a few examples.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And just what do you plan to do if you can't finish it before she arrives?

Hmmmmm?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    And just what do you plan to do if you can't finish it before she arrives?

Hmmmmm?
    Finish later? Lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Example 1

Full image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D100-Rodinal50-12minR-24001.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	395.1 KB 
ID:	84310
    1:1

Name:	D100-Rodinal50-12minR-24001-2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	373.5 KB 
ID:	84311

Example 2 full image

Name:	D100-Rodinal50-12minR-24004.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	84312

1:1

Name:	D100-Rodinal50-12minR-24004-2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	84313

Nothing has been done to the images in post.

Happy and satisfied Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait a minute Stone. You didn't even post the camera, lens and exposure info...

Just kidding, the results look good. I am curious however why you are so insistent that Rodinal has to be the developer? I do like Rodinal, but I have found other developers that seem to be better suited for the Jobo continuous rotation model.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you likes em, then you shoots em.

Looks like you're having success, and have a solution to the consistency issue as well

Back to the motherf***ing photography!
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Wait a minute Stone. You didn't even post the camera, lens and exposure info...

Just kidding, the results look good. I am curious however why you are so insistent that Rodinal has to be the developer? I do like Rodinal, but I have found other developers that seem to be better suited for the Jobo continuous rotation model.
    Cost and space

$13 = 1 bottles of Rodinal = 6 months of processing.

$180 = 10 bottles of DD-X = 6 months of processing.

I'll post all the details another time when I have time to enter them in the gallery I already posted the dev times just not exposure times.

DD-X seems to be the only liquid developer besides Rodinal that has given me the look I want with the grain and edge effects I want.

These were only 2400 scans, I should have scanned at 3200 but I didn't have time. Such is life, it's good enough to see I've found a match.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Nothing has been done to the images in post.
    sharpen unsharpen masks?
    levels?
    contrast+brightness?
    lightroom?
    in scanner software adjustments?
    interpolation?

certainly something has been done ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sharpen unsharpen masks?
    levels?
    contrast+brightness?
    lightroom?
    in scanner software adjustments?
    interpolation?

certainly something has been done ...
    And they seem to be positives, not negatives, maybe he is reversal processing his films.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 03-12-2014 at 08:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please stop. Whatever he is doing, StoneNYC is now happy, so let him continue to do that. We do not need to turn this into another 50+ pages epic.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin