Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 802

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chemistry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The regulations that cover this stuff are insanely complicated. In Canada we have TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods) and in the US it's ORM-D. Generally speaking they are more concerned with bulk transportation and consumer quantities of things can probably be shipped with appropriate packaging and labeling, often times even in a passenger aircraft. But it's almost impossible to figure this stuff out so I think most people just default to 'domestic ground only.'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I refuse to believe there isn't a place in Alaska that sells it somewhere or could get it...
    lol
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would be willing to order from B&H and then re-ship it to Alaska, but you'll have to figure out the shipping costs, I usually only use priority mail flat rate shipping boxes, but I think they don't include Alaska or Hawaii... But you'd have to check on that.
    They include anywhere in the US, which means not only does it include the flat rate to Hawaii and Alaska, bur for some reason also includes places like the US virgin islands, guam and few other "not colonies" of the US, which is totally not a colonialist country...

And on top of it all they deliver that 5.05$ flat rate in 3 days, even to the middle of the pacific ocean - its real, no joke.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    The regulations that cover this stuff are insanely complicated. In Canada we have TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods) and in the US it's ORM-D. Generally speaking they are more concerned with bulk transportation and consumer quantities of things can probably be shipped with appropriate packaging and labeling, often times even in a passenger aircraft. But it's almost impossible to figure this stuff out so I think most people just default to 'domestic ground only.'
    The actual cots of licensing for shipping masters for companies that do ship hazardous materials, is enormous and hugely time consuming (to maintain said license, the shipper needs to attend several annual seminars, file forms etc...), then the cost for filing that license with each shipper (fedex UPS) costs money, the labeling and and packaging costs money, and the restrictions on commercial shippers are very strict, but at the same time are very clear, and often have higher rates for shipping certain things if not shipped as ground.

If you look at it closely enough you will see that USPS will actually allow you to ship pretty much any photographic material, even Pyro and other nasty stuff, and it would be totally legal, with no paperwork or license or fee.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akfotog View Post
    Does anyone know if any businesses selling developers like Rodinal, Accufine, etc., that will ship to Alaska. All I've seen will only send ground to the lower 48. Thanks.
    have you considered to make your own or pay somebody to make it for you?I'd consider it
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    If you look at it closely enough you will see that USPS will actually allow you to ship pretty much any photographic material, even Pyro and other nasty stuff, and it would be totally legal, with no paperwork or license or fee.
    Exactly, that's the point I was trying to make. The form, quantities and packaging of chemicals that photographers are dealing with are usually OK to ship even when some of the component materials are considered restricted or dangerous. Trying to figure out all the regulations is difficult.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The formulary online shop ships mostly with USPS, and they have pretty much anything you can want, amidol perhaps instead of rodinal?
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I refuse to believe there isn't a place in Alaska that sells it somewhere or could get it...
    You'd be amazed. The only "real" photo store that sells chemistry is Stewart's Photo in Anchorage. Their supply has dwindled over the past 18 months (I bought their remaining supplies of D76, Dektol, and Hypo Clear a few months ago when it went for half price). Kodak will no longer ship to them. Ilford; however, does ship a few of their chemicals. Things are getting tough as most everyone is on the digital kick. When my remaining stock runs out, I'll have to buy from the lower 48 all from the lower 48.
    akfotog

Seneca/National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again everyone for the advice. Never really gave thought to making my own, but will be seriously considering it. Did order some Acufine today from Freestyle.
    akfotog

Seneca/National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you need to come down and visit us in warm, sunny Seattle.

Glazer's Camera is calling.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin