Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,098   Online: 850

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chemistry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akfotog View Post
    You'd be amazed. The only "real" photo store that sells chemistry is Stewart's Photo in Anchorage. Their supply has dwindled over the past 18 months (I bought their remaining supplies of D76, Dektol, and Hypo Clear a few months ago when it went for half price). Kodak will no longer ship to them. Ilford; however, does ship a few of their chemicals. Things are getting tough as most everyone is on the digital kick. When my remaining stock runs out, I'll have to buy from the lower 48 all from the lower 48.
    Pretty ironic as AK probably has some of the most beautiful land for making photographs.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akfotog View Post
    You'd be amazed. The only "real" photo store that sells chemistry is Stewart's Photo in Anchorage. Their supply has dwindled over the past 18 months (I bought their remaining supplies of D76, Dektol, and Hypo Clear a few months ago when it went for half price). Kodak will no longer ship to them. Ilford; however, does ship a few of their chemicals. Things are getting tough as most everyone is on the digital kick. When my remaining stock runs out, I'll have to buy from the lower 48 all from the lower 48.
    Believe it or not I emailed them (Stewarts) just to see, he said the supplier wouldn't ship Rodinal anymore

That stink... I'm sure for a price you could get Rodinal somehow... eBay maybe? But it would cost more than DD-X lol

Perhaps ilford is the way to go? ID-11 or Microdol? It's powder so could work if you don't mind powder?

I hate powder but if I had no choice that's how I would go, probably Microdol replenished, seems the best alternative for me, but ID-11 might be better for you.

Good luck sir, I'll be in Canada (Nova Scotia) and if I drive I can make a shipment of something anyone would want but it would cost you and I would have to properly declare it and pay the extra for haz materials etc.

Man, I would freak if I couldn't get Rodinal lol! When the ice melts you should drive to the US pick some up in Seattle and drive back with enough to sell to the other Alaskans... At a premium haha!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Pretty ironic as AK probably has some of the most beautiful land for making photographs.
    This is also true of Australia... Best place in the world for images on Velvia (New Zealand too) and it's 4 times the price for film/chemistry... Sucks....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Sounds like you need to come down and visit us in warm, sunny Seattle.

Glazer's Camera is calling.

Ken
    Beat me to it... I took to long to type! Haha

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if it cannot be flown, mix your own;hey I'm a poet.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole handles the film/paper/chemistry at Beau photo. I've found her fairly knowledgable, friendly, and helpful. Expecting a Beau box to arrive today......

Edit, 5 minutes later: It's here!! Off to the darkroom for me!!
    Last edited by sly; 04-24-2014 at 11:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Caution

I work for the USPS. While it is true most photographic mixtures are mailable, I would not attempt it with any ORM-D chemicals, nor in liquid quantities over one pint. I have studied the rule book myself for my own knowledge as a photographer and it is of little use. The one pint restriction is clear however. The best guide might be to see the MSDS for the product in question and compare it to the USPS hazmat charts, the one with the actual hazmat classes listed. The MSDS should give the various shipping restrictions. I am very sure Rodinal is unmailable, same with acetic acid stop baths. Same for products like Drano and Clorox. Rodinal definitely falls under hazard class "corrosive" on its MSDS and that class is completely unmailable according to the chart at work. Since 9/11 we are instructed to err on the safe side. I have seen packages with perfectly safe contents get kicked back by the TSA because they did not think it could go on a plane. If they find a gallon of Rodinal the G men might just pay you and me a visit.

Shooter
    35mm

Gee

"G-Men", "warm and sunny Seattle," boy, these posts are hilarious. You are keeping me entertained. But I sympathize with those who have trouble with getting what I would look on as basic supplies. They say the world is shrinking but for some of us it is getting more complicated. Hang in there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Nicole handles the film/paper/chemistry at Beau photo. I've found her fairly knowledgable, friendly, and helpful. Expecting a Beau box to arrive today......

Edit, 5 minutes later: It's here!! Off to the darkroom for me!!
    I agree about Nicole.

Her email is film@beauphoto.com.

But the telephone may work better: (604) 734.7771
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 37th Exposure View Post
    I work for the USPS. While it is true most photographic mixtures are mailable, I would not attempt it with any ORM-D chemicals, nor in liquid quantities over one pint. I have studied the rule book myself for my own knowledge as a photographer and it is of little use. The one pint restriction is clear however. The best guide might be to see the MSDS for the product in question and compare it to the USPS hazmat charts, the one with the actual hazmat classes listed. The MSDS should give the various shipping restrictions. I am very sure Rodinal is unmailable, same with acetic acid stop baths. Same for products like Drano and Clorox. Rodinal definitely falls under hazard class "corrosive" on its MSDS and that class is completely unmailable according to the chart at work. Since 9/11 we are instructed to err on the safe side. I have seen packages with perfectly safe contents get kicked back by the TSA because they did not think it could go on a plane. If they find a gallon of Rodinal the G men might just pay you and me a visit.
    Really? Even for checked baggage? That stinks, there goes my travel plans to fly around the country developing film and using turbulence for agitation....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin