Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,867   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ethol UFG developer and replenisher question

I have a few boxes of Tri-X 220 in the freezer and two cans of UFG developer that I'd like to use as a replenished system. Problem is the Ethol UFG replenisher is discontinued. I have done some searching and haven't come up with much about replenishing with the UFG developer itself. Anybody use UFG replenished with stock developer?

Many years ago (college Photography 101) a young lady was cheating by using UFG with our standard film to use Tri-X 35mm and I really liked her work in prints to 11x14. We were only allowed to use HC110 dil. B and Kodak Tri-X, but she was using UFG for some of her rolls. I didn't find this out until the class was over, but like I said, I was impressed. I tried it back then, but ended up using Ilford ID-11+ for a long time until I stopped doing much B&W. Now, I'd like to soup some of this Tri-X 220 in UFG replenished for certain scenes I'll be shooting this summer. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use to develop 35mm in UFG un-replenished in the late 50s and like it. Not sure why, just beginning then & probably would of liked anything. I think your post is the first I have seen with any info or positive statements about it. Very interested in to hear how it performs for you.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I use to develop 35mm in UFG un-replenished in the late 50s and like it. Not sure why, just beginning then & probably would of liked anything. I think your post is the first I have seen with any info or positive statements about it. Very interested in to hear how it performs for you.
    Fotch as I look at your picture and hear about something in the 50's, I'm confused. I always thought you were a young fellow. Odd how we have conceptions sometimes about these people.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Actually, the only reason I tried it back then was because it was "COOL" to try to get as much speed out of your film as you could. Even if it meant sacrificing speed for grain or sharpness. Kind of the way we used to be with hot cars! I'd like to see what it would do with several films I use now. Not so much for a speed gain as it would be for looks. I remember that young ladies pictures printed on Ilfobrom #2 paper having a really nice glowing look to them. Of course age does have a negative impact on memory sometimes, but I think that's what I remember anyway. I don't think she was using it as replenished, but can't really say for sure. I"ll let you know how it goes, but it'll be about a month or so down the road. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Fotch as I look at your picture and hear about something in the 50's, I'm confused. I always thought you were a young fellow. Odd how we have conceptions sometimes about these people.
    I was in 7th grade. Your only as old as you feel, sometimes I am youngish, other times, mature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    Actually, the only reason I tried it back then was because it was "COOL" to try to get as much speed out of your film as you could. Even if it meant sacrificing speed for grain or sharpness. Kind of the way we used to be with hot cars! I'd like to see what it would do with several films I use now. Not so much for a speed gain as it would be for looks. I remember that young ladies pictures printed on Ilfobrom #2 paper having a really nice glowing look to them. Of course age does have a negative impact on memory sometimes, but I think that's what I remember anyway. I don't think she was using it as replenished, but can't really say for sure. I"ll let you know how it goes, but it'll be about a month or so down the road. JW
    Good luck and thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still use UFG replenished with authentic UFG replenisher. The replenisher was blended by the very person who used to blend it for Ethol back when you could get it in any camera shop. I have enough to last me the rest of my days. UFG and its replenisher lasts forever if properly stored.

Here's a discussion from back in '09:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...developer.html

Reinhold

www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    Last edited by Reinhold; 03-21-2014 at 01:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    I still use UFG replenished with authentic UFG replenisher. The replenisher was blended by the very person who used to blend it for Ethol back when you could get it in any camera shop. I have enough to last me the rest of my days. UFG and its replenisher lasts forever if properly stored.

Here's a discussion from back in '09:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...developer.html

Reinhold

www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    Reinhold,
    In my search for information on UFG I did read that discussion and checked your gallery's out also. It was fun trying to pick out shot that you might have used UFG on. As for trying to figure out how to replenish with the stock developer, since I have no UFG Replenisher, I guess I'll go by "trial and error". Also, another reason I want to use UFG is that I have restored to working order a Western Camera Co., Chicago, Il. Cyclone No.5 4x5 12 shot falling plate camera. I've added metal spacers to the plate holders and now use 4x5 film. I think Tri-X and UFG in this camera would be near ideal considering the lens, aperture and shutter speed limitations. Did you use UFG for some of you "Menicus" shots in your gallery? JW

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I am lucky that I discovered UFG Replenished at the tail end and stocked up on both. I think it would be possible to use UFG Stock mixed to 3 ltrs instead of a gallon and use that as a starting point to test. I seem to recall that the cans of replenisher contained more than the stock. I take the 3 ltr thing from Kodak's recommendation in regards to the discontinuing of Microdol-x Replenisher, I think they recommended a 1 gal size of Microdol-X in 3 liters and adding in more carbonate. UFG continues to amaze, my stock and replenisher last a very long time mixed in sealed glass bottles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    I am lucky that I discovered UFG Replenished at the tail end and stocked up on both. I think it would be possible to use UFG Stock mixed to 3 ltrs instead of a gallon and use that as a starting point to test. I seem to recall that the cans of replenisher contained more than the stock. I take the 3 ltr thing from Kodak's recommendation in regards to the discontinuing of Microdol-x Replenisher, I think they recommended a 1 gal size of Microdol-X in 3 liters and adding in more carbonate. UFG continues to amaze, my stock and replenisher last a very long time mixed in sealed glass bottles.
    Yes, I think I'm going to start with a simple "stock as replenisher" first and see what happens. I have a PH tester and will monitor the PH as close as possible. If it starts to drop using the "stock as replenisher" I'll add some Sodium Carbonate to the replenisher stock solution or figure something out. I think I'm going to use it on the 4x5 Cyclone camera films first and see how that works. After that I'll try it with my medium format Tri-X, Chinese Shanghai 100 and HP5+ stock. I sure wish Ethol wouldn't have dropped their UFG-R since it would have made things easier that's for sure. JW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin