Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,928   Online: 799

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak Duplicating 2462 Microfilm in camera

Here is the result of purchasing 2000 feet of Kodak Duplicating 2462 Microfilm. I bought this so I can use some of my old 828 cameras, but thought about use in 35mm also. Having lots of old mechanical cameras, I decided to try a modification that will totally NOT destroy a SLR and allow the use of regular 35mm film if desired. This Minolta was at the top of the pile and became the GP.

Put Masking tape over shutter.

Metal sprocket.... Clip teeth with fine wire cutter and polish with rotary tool.

Drill takeup spool opposite of film tab holder on opposite side. Drill to just touching the metal shaft inside. Using instant glue, about 4 drops while rotating spool to allow glue to wick between shaft and sprocket. Allow to sit open overnight.

Blow out dust and crumbs and remove masking tape.

All Done! The camera can still be used with regular or un-perforated film.

Now the fun part......Exposing the Kodak Duplicating 2462 Microfilm. The Interweb research indicated an approximate exposure indexs of 1 to 6 and some very creative developing. Too slow and I did not want to make special developers, but I tried both. Not too happy, took too long and only good in bright sun. There must be a better (easier) way. There is......

After many feet of film and chemicals, here is my best so far.....

Expose film at EI 25
    Develop in HC110 at double "B" dilution for 10 minutes.
    Fix for 2 minutes in rapid fix.

My results are EI-50 too thin, EI-6 too heavy, EI-20 might be perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Minolta.JPG   Mods.jpg   Frontlit.jpg   Backlit.jpg  
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Microfilm Image Results

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	negs.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	86207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rabbit.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	86208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	86209

Here are are a couple if pictures using the microfilm. They do not accurately represent the actual 8x10 pictures I made due to ancient Floppy Mavica DigiCam, and are a bit dark. But the prints are really bright and crisp printed on Ilford MG with 50M filter. You will notice the tail lights and the reflectors on the car. They are recorded as black. They have yellow and red lenses and the car is VW gray. I tried to take a picture of the contact sheet but it won't come out right, but is here to show the spacing between the images. The street image is nice and crisp. The pickup truck in the image is red, the house to the right is light green, the dark tree is some kind of bushy pine-like tree and is a very dark green.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    Put Masking tape over shutter.

Metal sprocket.... Clip teeth with fine wire cutter and polish with rotary tool.

Drill takeup spool opposite of film tab holder on opposite side. Drill to just touching the metal shaft inside. Using instant glue, about 4 drops while rotating spool to allow glue to wick between shaft and sprocket. Allow to sit open overnight.

Blow out dust and crumbs and remove masking tape.

All Done! The camera can still be used with regular or un-perforated film.
    Your modified take-up spool is still friction-driven. Will it transport film in all circumstances?

Furthermore it will produce progressively wider spaces between frames, though that won't be a problem other than with the very last frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Your modified take-up spool is still friction-driven. Will it transport film in all circumstances?

Furthermore it will produce progressively wider spaces between frames, though that won't be a problem other than with the very last frame.
    The takeup spool has been "super glued" to the internal shaft that drives it. After curing overnight, I pressed my thumb to the shaft quite firmly and wound the advance lever with no slippage. Frame spacing is not an issue, at the end of a 36ex roll the gap is only one half inch.

I was going to drill and pin the spool to the internal shaft but tried the glue first which works very well. On this camera, the friction drive is nothing more than a press-fit driven center shaft. You can see in the picture the hole drilled in the spool.

Now that I know the effective film speed and very nice results, I'm going to modify a Pentax ME for this film and have automatic exposure. I have only the 50mm lens for the minolta but a good assortment for Pentax. With 2000 feet of this film I am all set for a very long time.
    Last edited by Cruzingoose; 04-13-2014 at 10:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice work. I have some 2462, and have toyed with it a little, but became distracted by other things. I basically bracketed and found an EI of 12 to be acceptable; I expect high contrast, but wanted a touch less, and something higher than EI 12. I never got around to experimenting much with developers - d76, Rodinal 1:100, and Diafine. I did pre-flash in-camera with promising results, but since it was my first attempt, it obviously wasn't good.

I'll try the HC110 dilution you mention and see how I like it.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin