Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,594   Online: 828

Shooter
    Medium Format

Efke 25 vs Rollei RPX 25

How close is the new Rollei RPX 25 to the old Efke 25? Has anyone used both? I'm just about out of my Efke 25 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 sheet film. I'd be willing to switch to 120 Rollei RPX 25 if these two emulsions were very close. It sounds like their base materials are very close anyway. I don't like the higher price of the new Rollei stuff, but if it's close I'll buy it. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do they even make 2 1/4 3 1/4 in Rollei 25 film stock?
    I have 25 rolls of the new Rollei 25 in 120 but haven't tried it yet.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    I think JW is suggesting that s/he may use 120 roll in 6x9 format. That size on film is roughly the same as quarter-plate. A suitable roll-film holder could make the change over relatively painless.

I will also be interested in any comparisons people can draw between the new film and older ones.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Do they even make 2 1/4 3 1/4 in Rollei 25 film stock?
    I have 25 rolls of the new Rollei 25 in 120 but haven't tried it yet.
    No, but like I said, I'd gladly go to Rollei RPX 25 120 film in my old Kodak Medalist II (re-rolled on 620 spools of course). I have the accessory sheet film/roll holder ground glass back for the Kodak Medalist and that's what I was using the Efke 25 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 in. I could also use it in my Rolleis, 'blads and others, but the ground glass back on the Medalist makes it handy for switching. I can have a couple of different films in two roll film backs and then see something that the Efke 25 was made for and slip a sheet film holder in place of the roll film back. I could do just fine with and extra roll film back loaded with Rollei RPX 25 if I can get results like Efke 25. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy a couple of rolls, but didn't want to waste the money testing for EI's and such if it's not close to Efke 25. JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    I think JW is suggesting that s/he may use 120 roll in 6x9 format. That size on film is roughly the same as quarter-plate. A suitable roll-film holder could make the change over relatively painless.

I will also be interested in any comparisons people can draw between the new film and older ones.
    You're so right Martin and we must have been typing at the same time, but your post beat mine. JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    No, but like I said, I'd gladly go to Rollei RPX 25 120 film in my old Kodak Medalist II (re-rolled on 620 spools of course). I have the accessory sheet film/roll holder ground glass back for the Kodak Medalist and that's what I was using the Efke 25 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 in. I could also use it in my Rolleis, 'blads and others, but the ground glass back on the Medalist makes it handy for switching. I can have a couple of different films in two roll film backs and then see something that the Efke 25 was made for and slip a sheet film holder in place of the roll film back. I could do just fine with and extra roll film back loaded with Rollei RPX 25 if I can get results like Efke 25. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy a couple of rolls, but didn't want to waste the money testing for EI's and such if it's not close to Efke 25. JW
    I made the same decision and just bought some rolls from MACO in Germany. I used box speed of 25 in my meter and developed at my usual time and agitation routine in OBSIDIAN AQUA. I was not comparing it with EFKE but with ADOX CHS 25 ART that had disappeared from the market. It's a very nice film to work with. It's not a repackaged high contrast graphic film like ADOX CMS 20 but a true panchromatic, full tone film. The substrate is perfect to work with. It lies almost as flat as sheet film so is really easy to position in the negative holder. No flailing around with some photographic reincarnation of an errant clock spring...

I'm sticking with it. It's very good. If it ever comes on the market in sheet sizes I will be using it a lot...

Not a laboratory test piece but I think you might be able to judge the tonal range a bit from the above.

RR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    I made the same decision and just bought some rolls from MACO in Germany. I used box speed of 25 in my meter and developed at my usual time and agitation routine in OBSIDIAN AQUA. I was not comparing it with EFKE but with ADOX CHS 25 ART that had disappeared from the market. It's a very nice film to work with. It's not a repackaged high contrast graphic film like ADOX CMS 20 but a true panchromatic, full tone film. The substrate is perfect to work with. It lies almost as flat as sheet film so is really easy to position in the negative holder. No flailing around with some photographic reincarnation of an errant clock spring...

I'm sticking with it. It's very good. If it ever comes on the market in sheet sizes I will be using it a lot...

Not a laboratory test piece but I think you might be able to judge the tonal range a bit from the above.

RR
    Rod,
    That looks nice and I remember seeing that shot when you folks were talking about RPX 25 shortly after it was announced. Two things you say that I like: 1. The films base/substrate being flat. Efke 25 in sheet was the same way. 2. Rating at ISO 25. I rated my Efke at ISO 25 and developed it in both WD2D+ and Pyrocat-MC and get full speed. In fact I think I could easily rate it at near ISO 50 and get by just fine. That's pretty good for WD2D+ , which isn't known as a "speed enhancing" developer. Now, if it just has the same tonal range in high contrast lighting? JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    Rod,
    That looks nice and I remember seeing that shot when you folks were talking about RPX 25 shortly after it was announced. Two things you say that I like: 1. The films base/substrate being flat. Efke 25 in sheet was the same way. 2. Rating at ISO 25. I rated my Efke at ISO 25 and developed it in both WD2D+ and Pyrocat-MC and get full speed. In fact I think I could easily rate it at near ISO 50 and get by just fine. That's pretty good for WD2D+ , which isn't known as a "speed enhancing" developer. Now, if it just has the same tonal range in high contrast lighting? JW
    Methinks a few rolls through your camera will determine whether it is right for you...

RR

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin