Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,631   Posts: 1,623,088   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ways to avoid chemical failure

Tip #1: if your local retailer stocks them hanging from rods, don't buy packages that look like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture.jpg  

Kodak`s new chem supplier added the holes or did the store.

Buy a scale and go to photo formulary. Store chems is small glass bottles and take a plastic spoon and grind it narrow to remove powder. You will never be a dependent again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really the point. This has nothing to do with Kodak. Just watch out for bonehead retailers doing things like punching holes in bags of chemicals, or stacking them on top of the radiator all winter, etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What local retailers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Huh, that's funny, I could've sworn that the little packets of powdered developer I get around here already have that "t-shaped" hole in them from the get go, but I may be wrong.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Kodak`s new chem supplier added the holes or did the store.

Buy a scale and go to photo formulary. Store chems is small glass bottles and take a plastic spoon and grind it narrow to remove powder. You will never be a dependent again.
    +1 except I buy direct from chemical supply companies as photo formulary is not in UK. Making your own from scratch is the way forward.

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Kodak`s new chem supplier added the holes or did the store...
    For the sake of archive clarity, in case someone reads this thread and (like me) is uncertain of the answer to Ronald's question, here's how Michael explained it in another thread eight months later:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Well, the usual store I go to has all the Kodak dry chemicals in boxes without any holes punched (the Tetenal XTOL bag I just mixed had no holes punched). I've also ordered them from a few retailers and the bags had no punched holes either. So all the evidence points to the dummies at that one store here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Second Photo Formulary in Condon and Ron who says mix your own and be independent. I bit my tongue and ate the 30% S&H from freestyle just last week, but I won't do it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have also seen failure where the bags have been repeatedly creased from handling. These bags are made from composite material and have several layers. Some layers are quite thin and may be easily damaged. In order to protect the contents the bags must be undamaged in any way.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Like I said previously, I was born into the era of cans. Then, in my thirties came these damn bags. Simple repeated creasing will let air in and Dektol is the worst offender.

NOW ... take any bag of developer that you have and put it into either a clean, dry glass bottle or PET plastic bottle with secure cap. NOW, not later. - David Lyga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin