Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,889   Online: 998

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Modern developer for 35mm Panatomic-X?

In my early days of 35mm photography I got some lovely results with Panatomic-X.
    IIRC I souped it in Microdol-X, my standard developer then.

Recently I decided to give in to nostalgia. I just won an eBay auction for a 100' roll of Panatomic-X!

Since Kodak Microdol-X is no longer available I'm not sure what developer to use.

Is the Legacy Pro Microdol-X clone any good? How about Tetenal Neofin Blue?
    I have a bottle of HC110. Is there some dilution that would give me good results?

Any suggestions for a modern off-the-shelf developer for my old film?
    EI to shoot at and development time appreciated, too.

TIA,
    Chris
    Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-09-2014 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bring back the latent image!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been souping my Panatomic-X in Xtol 1+1 for 7.5 minutes at 68F (20C). I got this time off Flickr, seems to work rather well.

According to the datasheet I have for the film...
    D-76 (Stock) 7 minutes at 68F
    D-76 (1+1) 9 minutes at 68F
    HC-110 (A) 2.75 minutes at 68F
    HC-110 (B) 4.5 minutes at 68F
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    35mm

true love

I absolutely adored Panatomic-X and used to soup in Rodinal. I hear the "new" Rodinal might be different from the old one, but I don't know. Good luck with a great project.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always used Tetenol Neofin Blue, available @ Freestyle--best film/dev combo that I ever used!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also got a roll to use up (unfortunately only a single 135-20), so thanks for those replies from me too.
    I've got Perceptol, Microphen, and Xtol packets all as unmixed powder, and always have rodinal (adonal) on hand. (And I can always try something new)

Given how old it is (mine is exp 1970 or something), what would be best to cut through the 40+ years of fog?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used D-76 - can't remember if it was straight or 1:1 - maybe both

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use D-76 1:1 and find I still get the rated speed, 32.

35mm, 7 minutes at 68-degrees F gives me 0.48 CI, a little low for my taste so I'd develop longer 0.27 B+F (I don't think it's all fog, I think it's a tinted base for antihalation).
    120, 9 minutes at 68-degrees F gives me 0.51 CI, OK but still could develop longer. 0.18 B+F.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Use Microdol home brew Only need Elon, sulfite and Kosher salt. I'm happy with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For many years my favorite combination was Pan-X and the Beutler developer. It was a superb combination. Negatives were tack sharp and produced prints with exceptional detail. Such developers as Microdol are intended to soften the grain of medium and fast films. Slow films need an acutance developer to bring out their best.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, Beutlers is nice, particularly with the higher contrast slow films. Microdol and Beutlers are my go-to developers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin