Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,418   Online: 956

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Scratches on negatives

Hello, I have just developed for the first time two rolls of HP5 from a Bronica SQ and both came out looking like the attached photos.
    Background:
    - Developing was done on steel reels and in a SS tank.
    - Both rolls were from different backs.
    - After developing the first roll I noticed what I think are scratch marks. I had used my fingers (first wet in the on the roll to remove some of the liquid.
    - On the second roll I did not touch the negatives but still got the same scratches (although less pronounced).

The problem is I just can not think of where the scratches would have come from. I doubt it is the backs as neither of them have done it before (lab processed) and it would be weird to have them both do it at the same time. The camera never touches the film so it can not be that. Since I did not touch the negatives during drying on the second go I do not think it is that. That leaves loading (possible) but I have loaded film before with other reels and never seen this. The major difference is washing. I used Ilford's 3 fill and dump technique, where as in the past (4 years ago) I would run water for 5 min. So I am wondering are these marks scratches or is there some residiual chemical drying on my film surface.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have,
    DanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9087.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	86131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9088.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	86132

Shooter
    35mm
    Try cleaning the base side w/a little Windex & a cotton ball to remove residue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks very much for the input. I will try it and see if it helps.
    Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Are the scratches on the emulsion side or the back of the film? Are they scratches? Can you feel a texture difference when you touch them with your fingers?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried the windex and cotton ball but it did not really take any of it off.
    I am not convinced they are scratches. The more I think about it the more I think it is something else, but I just do not know what. The lines are on the shiny side, so back of the film (I think). When I slide my fingers over it or try to catch something on my nail, I can't. In other words I can not feel any texture differences.
    Thanks for considering the problem and any ideas you might have are very welcome. I have some more rolls I would like to develop and want to make sure I get this sorted before I continue.
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually wet fingers work fine for wiping wet film, but not always. The one thing we can say for sure is that these are not camera scratches, which are usually linear. Beyond that, it's hard to tell. They could have come from grit that got into the camera winding area (but you probably would have noticed and fixed it) or during the handling while loading the developing reel, or from grit deposited on the film during washing (my most likely candidate), or from something that didn't come off your fingers when you wet them.

You can not clean your fingers sufficiently ever. #2 id there are small particles on the film, your fingers will grab it and make a long scratch. Precipitated silver from used fix is one source. It does not wash off film. Better to deal with one spot than a scratch.

The internet is full of bad advice and I suggest you refer to manufactures directions.

Commercial machines dry with air blast. We can only drip dry with wetting agent in a clean environment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the advice. I did not touch the film I posted so those cannot be from my fingers wiping anything down them. I was worried about some sort of chemical residue so I re-fixed the film with fresh fixer to see if I could redissolve something but no dice. The lines are still there. I also got impatient and developed some Delta 100. I used a two fix procedure with the second batch being fresh. Although much fainter the lines are still present.
    Something I forgot to mention but may be important is that the films were exposed and then frozen to wait for development. The oldest one had the most apparent lines. However I have had film frozen the same length of time and then sent off to a lab for development and not had this issue.
    Our water is not hard so I do not think that is a problem but I might try a different source of water.
    Thanks again to all those who have offered assistance
    Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    The camera does touch the film via the pressure plate. Try maybe a thinner film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply.
    It is 120 film so the back of the film is protected by the light proof backing material.
    That is definitely a thought for my 35mm film though. I will be sure to check my pressure plates on those to make sure they are clean.
    Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin