Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,076   Online: 735

Shooter
    Multi Format

Emulsion cleaner

Hello,

I am new here, so I hope no one will be offended if I am posting this in the wrong forum. I am a recent film convert and have been having a hard time with "gunk" stuck to me negatives. Mostly, it is finger oil and other organic soluble material. I have been looking around and found Photosol advertising and selling PEC-12 as photographic emulsion cleaner. I was wondering if 99% pure 2-Propanol (Isopropyl alcohol) would be as good as PEC-12. At 17$ for 4oz, it does seem costly unless there is some distinct added advantage.

Thanks
    Last edited by shutterboy; 04-15-2014 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thought of adding some more information that I found:

As per http://photosolcart.com/wp-content/u...B_2014_PDF.pdf, PEC-12 contains Methanol along with Butyl acetate. Can someone tell me what is the acetate used for and how does it help in cleaning emulsions? Also, if I just use just methanol, what changes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best practice is to avoid contacting the negatives improperly (perfs are your friends) and to get 100% cotton gloves. Also, good old photo flo works magic. I bought a 16oz for somthing like $6 years ago and I still have plenty for years to come.
    extinction meters tend to be more accurate if you substitute your morning oj for carrot juice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve Anchell's "The darkroom cookbook" has a 'film cleaner' recipe listed... propan-2-ol; ammonia and water (approx: 97:1:2)

This is what I use and it works a treat - great for cleaning many other things too!!

HTH
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PEC-12 leaves behind a lot of residue. Also that residue seems to bond with many surfaces. IMHO it is a fraudulent product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    PEC-12 leaves behind a lot of residue. Also that residue seems to bond with many surfaces. IMHO it is a fraudulent product.
    Oh well, what do you recommend for cleaning then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Isopropanol.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    Isopropanol.

Well, not to nitpick, but I believe you either need to call it Isopropyl Alcohol (common name) or 2-Propanol (IUPAC name) or more correctly, Propan-2-ol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or Isopropanol. How do I know?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin