Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,636   Online: 871

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Developers usually benefit from being kept in the dark. Other chemicals not so much.

If you keep your chemicals in a dark cabinet anyway, it doesn't matter what kind of bottles you use in this respect.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get brown bottles at evil-mart.... they are filled with peroxide initially.
    Also the bleach 2 l bottles work great
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    I get brown bottles at evil-mart.... they are filled with peroxide initially.
    Also the bleach 2 l bottles work great
    That explains all that blond hair of yours. Just what do you use to get to those roots.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that explains my lack of hair
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Just a related personal experience here.
    I was buying FG7 and using it infrequently so I wanted to break it up into smaller, completely filled, tightly sealed bottles. I noticed that the plastic bottles that my multi vitamins came in were the perfect size, Dark Brown and transparent, had a wide mouth for inserting marbles and a tightly sealing cap. So I cleaned one out real good and put it to use.
    Funny thing though, After a month or so the bottle, which was Brown as Brown can be turned to a bright Emerald Green.
    I didn't actually notice any distinct effect on the functionality of the developer but it's probably best to stick with glass as SchwinnParamount has suggested.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Sorry if this seems a silly question but I always thought that the containers used for storing photo chemicals should be light tight, ya know like those brown, plastic bottles you get at the photo store.

Am I a victim of marketing hype? Are you guys saying that clear containers are ok?
    Yep, being a Marketing Major, I can say 100%, you've been duped!

I keep some of the stuff I don't use much in nalgen bottles (clear) in my "dark" room, inside a "dark" cabinet. Dark is dark....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Yep, being a Marketing Major, I can say 100%, you've been duped!

I keep some of the stuff I don't use much in nalgen bottles (clear) in my "dark" room, inside a "dark" cabinet. Dark is dark....
    I am afraid that you are wrong Eric.
    Cabinet dark is unsuitable for photographic purposes. The expensive bottles sold at camera stores contain 'photo grade' darkness and should always be used for solution storage.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Cabinet dark is unsuitable for photographic purposes. The expensive bottles sold at camera stores contain 'photo grade' darkness and should always be used for solution storage.
    'photo grade' darkness is the brain child of a marketing type person who couldn't bring himself to say 'keep your cabinet really dark'
    Last edited by SchwinnParamount; 02-18-2005 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot the smiley face

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    OMG! I am going to call my builder right now and let them know that my darkness is not photograde when I specifically told them I need "photo grade" darkness. I hope I get my money back!

Images
    During the big East Coast Black Out a couple of years ago, I filled several bottles with Dark and offered to sell them to folks on APUG who needed to charge up their newly built darkrooms. I might have a couple of bottles left if you are interested.
    =Neal W.=

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin