Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,107   Online: 850

Shooter
    35mm

Spotone retouching problem

Hi,

I have used Spotone for retouching more than 25 years, always happy with it. Over the years I have bought a lot of it, just to make sure I won't run out.

Now I am retouching a lot of prints done on Ilford warmtone fiber glossy paper. And I have a problem to retouch in the deep blacks. First it looks ok, then after some seconds it becomes lighter (what I have spotted). Same when I do it again . . . Very frustrating. I already took the ink from another, unopened bottle, same problem . . .

Any ideas here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always thought Spotone did this, and that you had to build in layers to match the tone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Harding View Post
    I always thought Spotone did this, and that you had to build in layers to match the tone.
    I don't think so. You put Spotone on a white saucer and let it dry. Where it is most concentrated you can take the black from and apply it directly. At least, that's how I did it for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, taking the most concentrated and applying that directly seems to me to parallel the idea of applying with a brush in layers - you're creating the most concentrated areas, one layer of concentration at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > white saucer and let it dry

That's the way I do it. It works very fine. Fluid Spotone is far to light for deep blacks.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Ilford Warmtone FB almost exclusively for a few years now, and I spot my prints with Spotone, too. I usually mix No 4 + 5, as it matches my developer and toning sequence, but I've used other colours too. I've a few prints with deep blacks that need a "touch" of spotting. I'd never use dried Spotone while spotting. I have it diluted, in three shades, and using the darkest dilution, in this case, I apply it, wet, but using an almost dry 00 or 000 brushes (wiped over a paper towel). I apply it repetitevely, using a stippling motion, to build up the tone. At first not much happens, but in a few minutes it starts taking the tone. It will go as dark as the surrounding area, but it will take a while, maybe 400-500 touches wth a brush. I've a print that takes 3 hours to spot, but I'm told this is not as bad as one of a friend of mines, which takes her 7 hours!
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin