Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,398   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How did you decide which film you'd use?

I'm just curious how everyone decides which brand or type of film they use. After shooting and printing with a lot of the well-known flims available today, I still have a hard time coming up with an overall preference. True, some films have slightly different characteristics, but they all seem to print the same and are largely indistinguishable on paper. I seem to have a cyclical buying pattern with film, never settling on just one even within the same ISO. So how does everyone here decide?

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a stiff assed Brit, then it has to be Ilford, what!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cost. As a college student, Arista EDU films are the most cost effective since I'm still learning the ins and outs of large format. Eventually I'll move up to Ilford since I love their 120 t-grain film. Kodak's film is twice as expensive as Ilford so I doubt I'll be shooting that any time soon (though trix 320 is pretty beautiful).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfooty View Post
    . Kodak's film is twice as expensive as Ilford so I doubt I'll be shooting that any time soon (though trix 320 is pretty beautiful).
    Not in the U.K. it isn't. It is quite amazing that Ilford's films can be exported and sell in the U.S. for half the price of Kodak's and yet in the U.K. Kodak whose films are imported matches and in some cases more than matches Ilford prices

There's nowt so queer as folk and film pricing.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hype for me, although cost was definitely a factor. I read a whole lot of stuff about people banging on about this or that film that I had to try them. So I ended up with a freezer full of films from fleabay, which I'm still working through.
    Haven't as yet decided on many favourites to focus on. There's definitely RVP50and RAP100 which have their specific uses in colour, as does Portra 160.

'old' TX has that massive old-school grainy feel. 'new' TXP, TMY, and HP5 I don't see much difference in, I use them interchangeably, and tried pushing them all to 1600 with limited success, so now it's Delta3200 in microphen only for 1600 and above.

In the 100 range, I've got APX100, TMX, Rollei Retro 100 (which was a cheapass bulk-roll I haven't finished), FP4, and Delta100 and don't see much difference between them for the uses I've given them. FP4 in Rodinal definitely gives that sharp-lines and grainy-sky look, if that's what I'm after at the time.

Slower I've got some APX25, KB25, and ATP1.1, but they'll remain for 'special' occasions, and eventually it'll just leave PanF for slow simply based on price&availability.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Speed, consistency and quality - FP4.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Acros 100 is the worst offender though. In 120 it is affordable and one of my favorite films, but 4x5 sheets must be lined with gold since it is almost $300 for 100 sheets, where 100 sheets of HP5+ is $139.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color: Kodak Porta 400 or Kodak Ultra Color 400 for 135, Kodak Porta 400 for 120, Kodak Vivid Color 160 4"x5"
    Black & White: Kodak Tri-X 400 135, Kodak Tri-X 400 or Kodak Plus-X 120, Kodak Tri-X 320 or Kodak TMax 100 or Ilford HP5+ 400 4"x5"

That is what I have in the freezer.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on a number of factors.

Am I moving quickly or slowly?
    What is my subject?
    What overall look am I going for?
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My preference is for Kodak films.
    So, from that, given the current choices, for roll films if I want a bit of graininess, I use Tri-X, if I'm looking for less grain then I go with one of the T-Max films. My favorite had been Plus-X.

I also have some FP4 and HP5, along with a few rolls of SFX which I use when the mood strikes.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin