Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,776   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Request for recommendation for a B&W print

Hi all--

Please accept my apology in advance if I've posted in the wrong forum or if soliciting recommendations is taboo.

A couple of years ago, I had my 7.5 minutes of photography fame when National Geographic chose my photo as the "photo of the day" on their website. (I only give myself half credit for the "15 minutes of fame" because that was the day the N.G. website was hacked and my photo was only visible for about half the day.)

http://photography.nationalgeographi...gs-chandelier/

I'm toying with the idea to have a few really nice, optical prints made of this negative for some special people. My concern is that the negative has a bit of a purplish hue, presumably due to my inept developing. When I posted the image to the N.G. site I did an autocorrect on the colors to fix this.

May I ask for a recommendation of a lab that could optically print this 35 mm B&W negative at a decent size (8X10 or larger for framing purposes) and can also handle any corrections necessary with the negative? If there are any labs or lab operators who post here, that would be great. After all, if I need such a service, best to direct the business to a member of the forum, right?

Also, being that this is the first time I've even considered doing this, may I ask if 3-5 prints at such a size will be a wallet buster? Not looking for exact prices (unless they are already published somewhere I've missed), but just a general idea.

Thank you all, yet again, in advance!

John

Shooter
    35mm
    If the purple color is even in the whole negative, then it should not affect optical printing at all. What film is it? Some of them have residual dye after processing (like Tri-X) and there is a lot of discussion going on how to get rid of it, but it does not cause problems at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro35 View Post
    If the purple color is even in the whole negative, then it should not affect optical printing at all. What film is it? Some of them have residual dye after processing (like Tri-X) and there is a lot of discussion going on how to get rid of it, but it does not cause problems at all.
    Thanks so much for the heads up. Yes indeed, the purple color is even and consistent throughout the entire negative and throughout the entire roll. I can't remember for certain what film it is, but I *think* it was Neopan Acros 100. That's a relief to know it won't cause problems in optical printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    In my personal experience Acros 100 is usually dye-free after normal processing and proper fixing. If the purple staining is intense you might want to consider trying to refix the roll as that is an indication of insufficient fixing. It won´t harm the prints, but the negative could have a shorter life-span. On the other hand Kodak Tri-X is usually slightly purple even after correct processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, where are you located? Maybe some of the APUG members can do prints for you at lower price, and as an extra you can watch prints made in the darkroom .

Here in Europe for 20x30 cm FB print you pay around 35€ and more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    John, where are you located? Maybe some of the APUG members can do prints for you at lower price, and as an extra you can watch prints made in the darkroom .

Here in Europe for 20x30 cm FB print you pay around 35€ and more.
    I'm actually in central North Carolina in the US. If there are any members who are willing/interested in helping me with this project, I would be most grateful! It would be fun to actually have a part in the printing-- I haven't done that since my 7th grade photography course.

John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro35 View Post
    In my personal experience Acros 100 is usually dye-free after normal processing and proper fixing. If the purple staining is intense you might want to consider trying to refix the roll as that is an indication of insufficient fixing. It won´t harm the prints, but the negative could have a shorter life-span. On the other hand Kodak Tri-X is usually slightly purple even after correct processing.
    Thank you so much-- a kind forum member has PM'd me with detailed instructions on how to refix and hopefully eliminate the pink/purple color in the negative. It's a very important negative (to me, at least) so I'll do just that.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
    Hi all--

Please accept my apology in advance if I've posted in the wrong forum or if soliciting recommendations is taboo.

A couple of years ago, I had my 7.5 minutes of photography fame when National Geographic chose my photo as the "photo of the day" on their website. (I only give myself half credit for the "15 minutes of fame" because that was the day the N.G. website was hacked and my photo was only visible for about half the day.)

http://photography.nationalgeographi...gs-chandelier/

I'm toying with the idea to have a few really nice, optical prints made of this negative for some special people. My concern is that the negative has a bit of a purplish hue, presumably due to my inept developing. When I posted the image to the N.G. site I did an autocorrect on the colors to fix this.

May I ask for a recommendation of a lab that could optically print this 35 mm B&W negative at a decent size (8X10 or larger for framing purposes) and can also handle any corrections necessary with the negative? If there are any labs or lab operators who post here, that would be great. After all, if I need such a service, best to direct the business to a member of the forum, right?

Also, being that this is the first time I've even considered doing this, may I ask if 3-5 prints at such a size will be a wallet buster? Not looking for exact prices (unless they are already published somewhere I've missed), but just a general idea.

Thank you all, yet again, in advance!

John
    http://www.ilfordlab.com/

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not that close, but I would print the photos for the OP.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in upstate SC and could possibly do some prints for you as well. Not that distance really matters as it would be cheap to mail the negative, and even mail the prints back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin