Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,868   Online: 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Random half blank frames - Kodak tri-x

Bit of an odd one.

I was was developing some Kodak Tri-x 400 and in a row in the middle of the film there are 4 frames which are half exposed half black, from side to side, not top to bottom. Then another two frames nearer the end then another couple at the end.

the only correlation between the shots is that they are all outdoors, possibly at the top end shutter speed and f-16.

Though the shots either side of the dodgy ones are also on the same days and roughly at the same times.

I've just had the camera cla'd so assume it can't be that?

the only other possibility I thought of and don't know was that I have a digital circular polariser. Though again the other frames are ok with the same filter on.

I developed with Kodak HC110 Dilution H for 14 minutes with new chemicals.

Any ideas?

for the next batch of films I'll be taking them to a chap who offered to develop them and give me tuition.
    but I am curious to know if this has happened to anyone else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sounds like the camera

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's the camera. Which one did you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shutter issues with the camera.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If it is your Canon SLR it is probably the shutter.

Try firing the shutter with the back open and the lens removed both blinds should run uniformly any hesitation half blank frames it would me most apparent on high speeds.

Low temperature can upset cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    shutter curtain(s) not working correctly. camera likely needs a tune-up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    shutter curtain(s) not working correctly. camera likely needs a tune-up.
    Agreed, particularly if you were using a fast speed. I had a similar issue many years ago with an old Exakta camera.

It was cured by a good repairman, who mentioned that the 1960's Exakta Varex models were prone to this problem. If I recall correctly, he said that the fault might not be identified by someone unfamiliar with the cameras, as a basic speed test of the shutter might seem OK, but the uneven exposure would still appear when the camera was tested with film.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 05-07-2014 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by filmnumpty View Post
    I've just had the camera cla'd so assume it can't be that?
    that doesn't bode well. I'd be asking the people who did the supposed CLA why it isn't working properly ///

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Show them the results. They might have messed something up.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you allow a neck strap to get in the way from time to time?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin