Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,545   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only ever used a stir plate to make yeast starters for brewing, but everyone touched on the big points. Make sure you have an actual flat bottomed beaker or flask designed to be used in this situation. In my experience, you have to start out slow, and can't just crank up the speed once it starts going or else it will throw the bar. Get it going at a slow speed, but give it 30 or more seconds to get all of the liquid swirling at the same speed as well. bump up the speed again and give it a little more time.

Also, depending on what youre mixing, do you really need an extremely fast speed? sometimes just a good ripple at the top is enough for good mixing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I keep my speed fairly low when mixing developers for one simple reason "Oxygen Induction". If I kick the speed up and get that giant, whirling vortex tornado I'm pretty sure I'm introducing more oxygen into the mix than I really want, which is none. I keep it just fast enough to mix the ingredients and just long enough to get that job done. JW

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    I keep my speed fairly low when mixing developers for one simple reason "Oxygen Induction". If I kick the speed up and get that giant, whirling vortex tornado I'm pretty sure I'm introducing more oxygen into the mix than I really want,
    Indeed, I have a fairly cheep hobby mixer and if the Vortex gets going you can HEAR the bubbling sound when the tip of the vortex reaches the bottom of the container (this with plain developers like D-76)

The Mix bars that come with mine have an small o-ring in the middle, that may help with uneven containers, I normally use a rounded bottom Paterson Graduate, or a big Automotive type graduate.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin