Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,096   Online: 947

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using 5x4 (UK) I usually ask - will I make a print of this?
    If a maybe, I make the exposure - if a definite no I move on without using a sheet.
    I'm more liberal with 120.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    do you monitor how much film you expose
    and do you worry about what you are photographing
    because it might be " a waste of film" or do you "let go" ?

Shooter
    35mm

tradition

I started shooting film professionally before 1960 so I can shoot plenty of film on one subject but I don't waste it. I've been trained to get what I need even if it is one frame or 300. Even in the Bad Old Days there were machingunners. I remember one news photographer who shot up all the film he had on him in a few minutes and had to borrow a couple of rolls from his competition.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I shoot as much film as my budget can afford , and when I make a print sale it goes right back into film.

I plan to buy a freezer full at some point if I ever get a complete show selling out.

Keep on shooting folks, there will be ways of printing well into the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting question. I am aware of the expense of the film I use (120 most of the time, and 10 exposures per roll in my P67), but not overly so. I take a lot of time with composition and nearly always get what I intended. In the end, if I get at least one good photograph per roll I don't feel that I've wasted anything...two or more is like finding gold!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think if you're just taking a bunch of pictures and not really thinking if the shot is worth taking or is any good and shot a ton in one day, you might as well just shoot digital since you're just using the machine gun mentally anyway.

Then again, assuming you are buying new, you waste as many sheets as you like, this will drop the film prices for the rest of us
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before I would habitually "let go" until I had that moment two years ago, upon reviewing my neg catalog, that I realized 99.1% of what I had was garbage. Now what I do is catalog every frame in a camera log. It's not about wasting film, but more so about maintaining consistent results. As far as film costs: I buy bulk (MP recans) while each frame costs pennies, I like to treat each one as if its priceless.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    From eighties until 2007 I was taking film pictures at consumer grade color film and bringing it to the lab for developing and printing. To be honest I never feel to be limited by numbers of frames on the film or how many rolls I need. Not in the spray shoot mode from very beginning. One roll of film was kept in our family camera for few months.

Now with B/W DIY developing and printing at home, I'm not very limited by the film amount and developing cost, but even more deeply by the reason if picture is going to be good for sharing and/or printing.
    In numbers it is two rolls per week in average with about five frames good enough to print. This is where my real limit is. I can't print a lot and here is no reason to print so many.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    to me at least, there is a difference between machinegunning and not worrying about how much film you are using
    things work out ... and if they didn't, its just film .. that cost about 1¢ to process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    to me at least, there is a difference between machinegunning and not worrying about how much film you are using
    things work out ...
    I completely agree. Film can be repurchased, when you're running low. Good photo opportunities are much rarer.

I also think we can learn as much, if not more, from our "misses" than from our "hits".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think I'm overly conscious of the financial end of it except when I'm online ordering and suddenly note that those "few small items" in the shopping cart are now totaling $200! I have moved -- I think -- I hope -- more toward seeking quality vs quantity. That is, if it doesn't feel like a candidate for an exhibition, why take it. But that is more a matter of photographic efficiency, as someone upthread suggested.

Truth is, even when electrocuting bits, I tend to try to think about what I see in the viewfinder before pressing the button. When I occasionally document an instructional event or the like, I'll lean toward more rather than less, but even then I'm far from spray and pray. From numbers I hear, my six year old dSLR probably has about five or six weddings worth of total shots on it!

Printing is where I'm probably most cost conscious. Since I post much of what I shoot on the web, I do very little printing. So when I do target a show, I review negatives and scans several times and crunch down pretty heavily on what I actually try to print before even committing to paper. Then I make small prints and look them over, further tightening the selection before sliding out those 11x14 sheets.

Thankfully, it's a hobby and doesn't have to be financially justified, else the gear would probably be in a tote in the back of the closet!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin