Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,553   Online: 781

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post
    I look twice before I shoot once. The most important urge for saving film is not the cost but the time I need to process it. On most half-day-trips I need one or two rolls of 120 film.
    Good philosphy and one I try to follow. But experience has shown me that one had better look twice QUICKLY or sometimes the opportunity will vanish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Moderation in all things - including moderation.

Like a tripod, I think being aware of the film you're using up makes you (at least me) more careful/deliberate of composition and exposure. If I was a better photographer, maybe that wouldn't be necessary.

But if being aware of the film you're using up makes you more likely to miss a good shot, then it's counterproductive. Particularly when shooting an event or other "fleeting" moment.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rachelle and eddie said it well for me.

When I expose a frame, I want it to be worthwhile, but at the same time, I don't worry if I'm exposing 1 frame or 10, or even 50, if what's in front of me warrants it.
    Interestingly, I think, is that when I use my electronic camera, I'm the same way. I might take it out, shoot just one frame and put it back in my pocket.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I suppose if nothing you ever shoot is good, it doesn't matter how many you take, and you can just go about shooting lots if film and it doesn't matter
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I suppose if nothing you ever shoot is good, it doesn't matter how many you take, and you can just go about shooting lots if film and it doesn't matter
    The corollary is, if you know what you're doing, you'll find more reasons to press the shutter.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The corollary is, if you know what you're doing, you'll find more reasons to press the shutter.
    I think if you know what you're doing you'll only need to take one shot the best one... Haha

But I agree, I how you said that too
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    But if being aware of the film you're using up makes you more likely to miss a good shot, then it's counterproductive. Particularly when shooting an event or other "fleeting" moment.
    This goes to show that the film usage rate is different for everybody. If you're a very contemplative photographer, deliberately and carefully studying a scene before even setting the camera up, then film usage is going to be very low.

If you are among people, at events like weddings or maybe fashion shows, your film usage is going to be very different.

If you can afford it, it would be foolish to let some arbitrary film usage rule dictate how much film we use, when we should be shooting as much film as the situation requires.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm normally very slow, which is good because I can't keep up with printing. Many days I carry a camera and don't make even a single picture. 5 or 6 would be a lot for one day. A couple weeks ago my daughter was in a parade, and I used up a short roll before the parade was 1/2 over and wished I'd had more film. That was fun! But none of this has anything at all to do with the cost of film... that doesn't enter into it for me. The cost is all time cost in printing and not having to sort through too many negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mean that, once you get to the point that you're in command of your materials, and don't have to think about the technical aspects, you only have to see. And, once you've advanced to that point, you're free to see more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    . . .
    does this mean that if you are in your routine or whatever it is for you to do "your thing" and something
    outside the scope of your framework of photography appeared you would not take the photograph?
    or would you take it anyways?
    and does this mean you wouldn't make more than 1 exposure for each situation/scenerio or whatever it is that
    you are photographing ? . . .
    In the first scenario, I would shoot -- it's even possible some of my best work has been an opportunistic aside while approaching another project. And I have sometimes taken more than one; e.g., two exposures per scene, usually with slight exposure bracketing. I began doing that after having a difficult to fix dust blivet in a frame -- nice to have a backup. And a roll of film is way cheaper than a fifty or sixty mile (or more!) round trip to re-shoot. But I never shoot five or six with just minor adjustments in exposure or perspective. I'll do one or two and then make a major change in viewpoint (even on pinhole day!)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin