Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,834   Online: 1120

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I only think about the cost of film, paper, chemicals, etc. when I place the order.
    Once delivered, I only think about the possibilities...
    A man after my own heart!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to photograph weddings, so I tend to be quite aware of how close I am to the next roll change.
    I tend to be a bit more careful of my use of my remaining Plus-X than TmY2. And for the same reason, my remaining E100, both because it isn't going to be easily replaced after it is gone, and because of the cost of having it processed.
    In general, I am careful about exposing film, but I am not the least reluctant to expose lots of film when doing so seems appropriate.
    And in respect to one of Stone's comments above, there are very few photo opportunities indeed where there is only one excellent photo possibility. That is brought home clearly to me any time I join other photographers on a photo outing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

The only time I worry about wasting film is if I don't have enough film with me. I try to avoid that situation.

Surely enough, when you've used the last frame, something better will come along.

Shooter
    35mm
    The number of once in a lifetime subjects is inversely proportional to the number of exposures remaining.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm always cautious because if i shoot like crazy it will mean that I'll have to print like crazy. I have to print my best shots in each roll, somekind of pet peeve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm currently well stocked in the film department, to the point I need to start shooting more rather than less so I don't have film sitting idle. But I always make sure I have enough that I won't run out while shooting somewhere, especially on a photo-centric trip (like my trip to Paris in October - I had something like 150 rolls of film with me, between the Tri-X, Portra 800, Portra 160, Ektar 100 and FP4+ (I never did shoot any of the FP4+, but I have a boatload of it sitting around so I thought why not bring a bunch of it along just in case)). I managed to shoot something like 30-35 rolls in 9 days, so now I have an overstock, but hey. I won't need to worry about not having enough.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'm currently well stocked in the film department, to the point I need to start shooting more rather than less so I don't have film sitting idle. But I always make sure I have enough that I won't run out while shooting somewhere, especially on a photo-centric trip (like my trip to Paris in October - I had something like 150 rolls of film with me, between the Tri-X, Portra 800, Portra 160, Ektar 100 and FP4+ (I never did shoot any of the FP4+, but I have a boatload of it sitting around so I thought why not bring a bunch of it along just in case)). I managed to shoot something like 30-35 rolls in 9 days, so now I have an overstock, but hey. I won't need to worry about not having enough.
    When I traveled around the country for my Kodachrome trip, I had 75 rolls to my name and 39 days to do it in. And I still have 10 rolls left because I just didn't have enough things to shoot worth shooting, in fact I probably wasted some at the end thinking it would be a waste to not have it processed, but the images themselves were mostly a waste because they are garbage because I was shooting just to shoot.

I agree if you're good enough, every image will be worthwhile, but I think if you're good enough, you wouldn't need to take every shot because you would know what was worth taking.

Let's stop talking about it and go shoot!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    When I traveled around the country for my Kodachrome trip, I had 75 rolls to my name and 39 days to do it in. And I still have 10 rolls left because I just didn't have enough things to shoot worth shooting, in fact I probably wasted some at the end thinking it would be a waste to not have it processed, but the images themselves were mostly a waste because they are garbage because I was shooting just to shoot.

I agree if you're good enough, every image will be worthwhile, but I think if you're good enough, you wouldn't need to take every shot because you would know what was worth taking.

One funny thing that happens to me is that I often get stuck with a few unused exposures at the end of rolls. It's mainly due to time constraints, time is up and I have to leave. So usually I shoot them very fast without much thought, just to finish the roll and not waste any film.

Often those last shots produce my favourite shot on the entire roll. Weird.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

It was never a question of shooting just to shoot, or being "good enough". There are shots you take because you have that moment of vision where the scene just snaps together in the viewfinder and you are compelled to take the photo. There are others that are experiments - "how will this look if I try it this way?". And there are "I have to take this shot" photos that are in some way technically or artistically flawed, but you'd kick yourself for taking a pass. And lastly, there are the "record" shots - photos, no matter how banal, that need to be taken because what you're doing would not be complete without them (like going to Paris for the first time and NOT taking a photo of the Eiffel Tower. That said, there are Eiffel Tower photos and then there are Eiffel Tower photos. I aim for the latter...so even a record shot has SOME artistic merit).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    But I always make sure I have enough that I won't run out while shooting somewhere, especially on a photo-centric trip (like my trip to Paris in October - I had something like 150 rolls of film with me...
    I do the same, for my month in the Caribbean. If the trip is photo-centric, the last thing I want to do is start rationing film. Close to home, I may leave the house with only a roll, or two (although, this winter, I had to go home for more...)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin