Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,702   Online: 970

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    The rapidly rising cost of materials (especially E6 film) has certainly curtailed the amount of film I've shot over the last couple of years. However, I still wouldn't hold back from shooting lavishly on a subject that deserved it. What has gone by the board are the large number of average shots that I'd previously have taken just because I'd gone somewhere and felt the need to justify the trip by shooting some film. Nowadays I'm much more prepared to go out with the camera and kit and come home without taking the camera out of its case if there was no subject or opportunity to justify doing so.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ... I think if you're good enough, you wouldn't need to take every shot because you would know what was worth taking.
    Sometimes there's a lot worth taking... The "camera walks" I took this winter, with snow on the ground, and falling from the sky, had new image possibilities every 10 yards.
    I live by the Wayne Gretzky quote: "You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    From the zen perspective you don't worry about film cost and usage, as you merely operate the camera and it takes the picture.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    From the zen perspective you don't worry about film cost and usage, as you merely operate the camera and it takes the picture.
    The film allows the image to appear...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thanks cliveh
    you nailed it ..

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The film allows the image to appear...
    its the chemical rays of light that make the image appear not the film,
    with the chemical rays of light photographic film is useless.

=== ( thanks maris )
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-08-2014 at 08:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    thanks cliveh
    you nailed it ..

its the chemical rays of light that make the image appear not the film,
    with the chemical rays of light photographic film is useless.

===
    I was being zen...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    do you actually print every photographic frame you expose? do you allow for any error?
    if you are in the midst of a project, do all the photographs look exactly the same, the ones from 5 years ago and the ones from yesterday ?

im not being facetious or anything, but how does one "grow" or get better or learn and understand film paper chemistry, the camera &c
    if there is no change and everything is ... exact / "just-so"?
    i ask this because we are only able to learn from our mistakes, and if one has everything planned so precisely and perfectly
    with no margin of error or allowance to do things that aren't expected &c ... how does one get better?
    "crappy exposures" "poor negatives" or whatever other derogatory comments made about the unplanned exposures
    or allowing oneself to let-go are perfect opportunities for printing and interpretation and becoming a better printer .. ( and camera operator )

obviously i am just speaking from my experience ... but i know others who have exposed more than "a ration" of film knew that it was an impossibility
    to have every frame "a keeper " and never regretted it.
    ( garry winogrand exposed so much film the pressure plate in his camera had sprocket holes burned into it ... and i seem to remember when he died he still had 10,000 rolls of film to process)
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-08-2014 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I ask myself 1) Will I print this? And then 2) Will it look good hanging on a wall? If I answered yes to 1, then I shoot, and if I also answered yes to 2, then I shoot two. I usually don't shoot if the scene doesn't fit that criteria since prints for mounting/framing are my goal. I tend to spend a lot of time setting up a shot, and then deciding not to bother taking it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there's a danger in pigeon-holing ourselves as to what kind of photographers we are. "I do portraits"... "I do landscapes"... " I do abstracts"...
    It can limit growth, creativity, and the development of personal style. Forays into unfamiliar areas can keep things fresh, and always results in new insights when we return to more familiar ground. Being too strict in requirements can mean you'll never see the forest for the trees (both figuratively and literally).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    On the one hand, I'm not thinking about "wasting film," but on the other hand, I work in a fairly conscious way, and I'm thinking ahead about what I'm really going to print, and I'm not afraid to go home empty handed, so if I don't think there's potentially something there (usually because I'm not happy with the light), then I don't make the exposure, and don't feel afterward like I've missed an opportunity. That still leaves plenty of room to experiment and take chances and try things that will fail or maybe surprise me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin