Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,223   Online: 829

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    To Simon's points, I agree generally, but would point out that when I shot weddings, I tended to shoot two different types of photos.
    The "money" shots - the ones critical to the event and those that are expected of an experienced professional; and
    The grace note shots - the ones that record the nuances, the unexpected memorable moments, the moments in and around the oments of the day that aren't necessarily expected, but certainly form the fabric of the memories.
    The latter type of shots are quite unstructured, and usually involve more shots, and a few more failures.
    The photographer's work isn't really a success unless both types of shots are accomplished with some vision and flare.
    Im with Stone normally I just shot candits as there was a pro as well shooting formal, but ocassionally there was not! I still shot informals.

Typically 250 off 135 (kchrome 25) frames, at 6 foot

Some people asked for rejects they normally printed ok - - metering off brides nose with dome incident reliable.

Computer flash bounced off ceiling indoors.

Brides liked their dress highlights burnt, 'the slides are optimised for projection with high wattage on bead screen, but a printer could make them lighter, ...' was the answer, I normally handed over the rejects as well.

I normally demonstrated them on king sized white cotton sheets staple gunned to wall - ceiling to floorboards with 5cm projector lens, ie big like in cine theatre.

Single coated lenses with deep hoods, even in 90s for pastel and flare. Kchrom25 was nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    while i appreciate the information about "paid gigs" / "weddings"
    that is a little different than shooting for oneself which is what i was
    really asking about. it is obvious that when working a
    weddings or events, you will shoot what is needed
    and i agree that today's wedding market ( as well as commercial market ) is sort
    of crazy, but commercial / paid work got away from the general gist of this thread

what i was aiming for was personal work.

do you hold back ... or not.
    i realize depending on the format it is expensive to expose extra sheets ...
    but if you are shooting LF or ULF chances are you have extra sheets with you
    ( i know i do ) ... will you expose them on a whim ?
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    do you monitor how much film you expose
    and do you worry about what you are photographing
    because it might be " a waste of film" or do you "let go" ?
    Since coming to Switzerland I have become a lot more selective and conservative.
    Over-the-counter film can be very expensive if one is not careful (like $10.50 for a 24exp roll of FP4+) and finding a place (nearby) that did C-41/E-6 without complaining (and within 2 weeks) was a chore.
    Bulk film (my mainstay) is also expensive, and if I order from an EU country I get hit with taxes that drive the price up even more.

On the bright side, all the places I've been to that sell film have plenty of Ilford in stock.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i can see how film-processing-expense in switzerland could put a damper on things ...
    ask me how ..

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A man can only sell so many body parts
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin