Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,900   Posts: 1,521,090   Online: 992

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

letting go, or no ?

do you monitor how much film you expose
    and do you worry about what you are photographing
    because it might be " a waste of film" or do you "let go" ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sub-consciously, yes I do worry about wasting film. I try not to, but I do. I know that if I have my pixel exciter in my hand, I won't care, I will just burn away, but as soon as I have the film, I am a lot more calculated and cautious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only think about the cost of film, paper, chemicals, etc. when I place the order.
    Once delivered, I only think about the possibilities...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    Most of the time - "let go". I shoot around 100 rolls per year, so it is not that much.
    Every film has its number and date that correspond folder on the computer where scans are.

They say when in doubt - overexpose; but I would add: when in doubt - expose and overexpose .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I take more care when shooting film, partly because each frame takes a lot of work to produce a finished image. I don't want to waste time on boring frames.

But that said, I often rip off a roll or two just because I enjoy the process of developing etc.

Like eddie, I don't worry about the cost once I have bought the materials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get so little time to shoot anything that I sometimes lean towards the "spray and pray" when I do get out. But I still try to make it worth using, not so much for $$, but for my editing time. I get irked when I have a whole sheet of negs and nothing worth printing. With 35mm, I might need to let it go even more. I barely shoot 10 rolls a year of 35mm. Probably 20 of 120 and maybe 50 sheets of 4x5 a year. Though likely less out here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I might be somewhat of an "anomaly" in how I work. Because of the nature of the subject matter and my methods, there is so much pre-work before I even bring the camera, in the end I make relatively few images compared to most people. It would probably drive most other hobbyists nuts to be as slow as I am. However, there is remarkably little "wasted" film. By the time I get to the point where I'm actually making an exposure, I'm pretty sure it will make the cut. Then again - I don't give a crap who else likes it or not, aside from a few people.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 05-08-2014 at 09:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never worry. I use the film I have at hand, and when I run out I order more if I can. If I can't I print until I can.
    Just let it rip.

I have taken for habit to try to replenish my film supply when I have enough photo cash. I try to always have 50 rolls each of 120 and 35mm, and a box of 5x7 sheets. Currently I'm a little low on rolls, but have enough for a few months.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, it depends on the situation. Sometimes when I lift the camera to my eye I think "what am I taking a picture of?" If I can't answer the question, then I don't shoot. Part of it is not wasting film, not for financial reasons, but that I'd rather save my shots for better opportunities (especially if I'm out with limited rolls). On the other hand, if and when I get into the "zone" I just shoot and don't even think about it. I like those situations best since I tend to come up with some real keepers, but they don't happen often.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I worry about the cost, even though time does not permit me to do as much photography as I'd like. In reality, it isn't the dollars but more the "efficiency" of photography. I dislike spending time and money and then not being happy with my results. But I'm an inherent worrier and sometimes even worry about the fact that I spend too much energy worrying.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin