Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,608   Online: 1275

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rodinal w/HC-110

I remember reading about a couple of folks (can't remember where now) who mixed up Rodinal and added a small shot of HC-110 syrup to it. Anyone here ever try it and can you share dilutions, times and experiences? TIA, Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, now you're just tryin to get me confused! And here I was testing to keep them apart...
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have never heard of it...but I have both so I might give it a try...

Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know there are folks who mix up rodinal and xtol....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suppose you would have to compare the mixture with:

Rodinal for half the time followed by HC-110 for half the time, and

HC-110 followed by Rodinal..........

Seriously, I have read of people who have done something like this with 2 dissimilar developers, but I don't remember the details. Maybe it was something like a full speed developer followed by a dilute compensating developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    I suppose you would have to compare the mixture with:

Rodinal for half the time followed by HC-110 for half the time, and

HC-110 followed by Rodinal..........

Seriously, I have read of people who have done something like this with 2 dissimilar developers, but I don't remember the details. Maybe it was something like a full speed developer followed by a dilute compensating developer.

I've thought of this (having two separate devs in two separate baths), but what got me curious was simply adding a small amount of HC-110 to an already existing Rodinal mix. I know I saw it somewhere...

If no one here has tried it, I will try it like any Evil Scientist would!

Shooter
    35mm
    and please let us know about results

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Al Doyle, one of the big subminiature gurus (the one who allegedly sells counterfeit Minolta 16 cassettes) recommends (for microfilm in pictorial applications) a developer he calls "mixer" that is exactly that -- Rodinal 1:100 plus a few drops (in a couple ounces of working solution) of HC-110 stock solution; he claims the HC-110 adds latitude and film speed while the Rodinal preserves accutance. I haven't tried it, after finding that HC-110 Dilution G and greatly reduced agitation worked just fine with my microfilm (Imagelink HQ and Copex Rapid).

My take on it is that mixing different developers will simply "muddy the water" -- you'll get a generic multi-agent developer instead of the distinctive appearance of Rodinal -- but I haven't actually tried it because I don't use Rodinal for anything else and so didn't have any around.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin